Cliffs Results

cowsharks

So, as I mentioned in one of the other "post-earthquake/hurricane" threads, there weren't really any new falls along Ches. Beach after the combo earthquake and hurricane last week. Some of you folks mentioned going down to collect this week. Just curious if anyone has gone to any of the spots along Calvert Cliffs, and if so, how did you make out. You don't need to say where you went if you want to keep it secret, just curious to know if anyone found anything neat. Some beaches get piled up with sand, while others get the sand pulled off exposing more fossils. This seems to vary from spot to spot along the cliffs, so while someone at one beach may not find much, someone just a few miles away at another beach area might do real well.

BTW, there was another small aftershock last night in our MD area. Heard it mentioned on WTOP radio this morning.

Daryl.

On Monday morning [ 7 AM to noon} it was a solid packed, sandbox style beach from Randall's Cliff to Parkers Creek. Ranch Estates reported the same conditions. :( There were no blown areas out that I observed, just a huge build up of sand. I didn't see any major falls caused by the earthquake either .I counted over 50 fossil collectors though, 35 at Randall's Cliff alone. :wacko::) -G

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

I haven't been down, but while the sand was piled up on the bay's beaches I heard it was pulled off the river banks on the Potomac.

So, as I mentioned in one of the other "post-earthquake/hurricane" threads, there weren't really any new falls along Ches. Beach after the combo earthquake and hurricane last week. Some of you folks mentioned going down to collect this week. Just curious if anyone has gone to any of the spots along Calvert Cliffs, and if so, how did you make out. You don't need to say where you went if you want to keep it secret, just curious to know if anyone found anything neat. Some beaches get piled up with sand, while others get the sand pulled off exposing more fossils. This seems to vary from spot to spot along the cliffs, so while someone at one beach may not find much, someone just a few miles away at another beach area might do real well.

BTW, there was another small aftershock last night in our MD area. Heard it mentioned on WTOP radio this morning.

Daryl.

Prime hunting conditions in a few areas but no great finds, really just the normal stuff. As far as cliff errosion it just didnt happen like i would have expected. I would have it at a 2 on a scale of 10. In some spots of the beach quite a bit of sand was removed but arond the spots that usually produce the beat finds it wasnt all that. My best finds were two land mammal bones. Over all i give yheae natural evens a 3 out of 10. Now the damage it did to the power lines and all was crazy to say the least.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I haven't been down, but while the sand was piled up on the bay's beaches I heard it was pulled off the river banks on the Potomac.

Maybe on the VA side, but the two spots I went to on the MD side seemed to have a little more sand than usual but overall not much change there either.

Daryl.

I went out on Friday and found the sand deposits to be heavier than I expected. Like already said in other posts, no real cliff falls to speak of.

I anticipate over the next month or so as sand is washed from the beaches, there will be some treasures uncovered.

I hit the Potomac again yesterday and it stunk! That stinkin' hydrilla seaweed grass was all tangled up in the beach gravel making it impossible to search. Resorted to sifting here and there just to salvage the 125 mile round trip. Left early because the tide level was probably about a good 8 to 10 inches higher than normal at low tide - it never got low at all. Guess it will take a while to drain the river out into the bay or something.

Daryl.

Was at Brownie's south to the base, Monday and Tuesday. Lots and lots of sand, even more fossil hunters, never seen it so crowded. One guy found a great Meg and Mako by screening. We found much less than usual, but one good Mako, and for some reason 4 dolphin bullae :blink: The second day was already getting better with the wave action cleaning away some silt.