Fossil Fern Plate

Sharkbyte

I recently purchased this Fossil Fern Plate through eBay. I sought advice from members of the Fossil Forum before I bought it and I am glad that I did. I am very satisfied with this purchase and I appreciate the input from the members that responded. Thank You.

This is a Fossil Fern plate from St. Clair, Pa. Here is the extent of what I have learned about it. It is from the Llewellyn Formation, Pennsylvanian Period. Aprox. 300 Million years old. The advice that I sought from the Forum members was concerning the white fern images. I had no experience in this area but wanted to add a very nice Fern plate to my collection but I wanted to know for sure that it was original and that the white detail was not enhanced. A few mwmbers put me at ease with this concern. I found out that when the plants died and fell into the swamp, they were in a low temperature, pressure and oxygen environment causing the plant tissue to be replaced by Pyrite from sulphides. Then over time, sediments built up and temperatures and pressures rose and Pyrophyllite (a whitish mineral-aluminum silicate) replaced the Pyrite creating the white remains.

This is a very busy Fern Plate. It measure 11" at the longest point by 4" at the widest point. The back side is just as crowded but stained more.

If anyone can confirm for me this information or correct any inaccuracies I would sure appreciate it. I also don't know yet what fern species these are.

post-6069-0-64348000-1314990435_thumb.jpg

post-6069-0-57272500-1314990466_thumb.jpg

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Fantastic fossil ferns Bobby! Thanks for the follow-up post and Congratulations! :thumbsu:

Nice going! That is a very attractive specimen from an iconic location :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sharkbyte,

Nice acquisition! :wub:

The info you have is correct - this from Wikipedia (so it must be true! :P )

"Relative and fossil age dating of the Llewellyn places it in the late-Middle to Late Pennsylvanian, being deposited between 308 to 300 (±1) million years ago. "

Congratulations!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice fossil! You probably already found this link, but it corroborates your findings.

Cheers!

Tim

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Hey Bobby, yep that is a nice addition to your collection. Tim, provided a nice link showing the variety of sizes and some ID's. Good stuff!

Those plates are always interesting with all of the variety in plant types. Lots of great Alethopteris fragments on the front side of yours. The local collectors/experts can set me straight but I believe I see at least two other common types.....

post-1240-0-80569900-1315059627_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Hello Tim.

Thank you very much for replying to my post with great information.

Nice fossil! You probably already found this link, but it corroborates your findings.

Cheers!

Tim

hello Chris,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to identify different fern species. If you don't mind, I am going to try to print your worked up version of the picture so that I can laminate it and keep it with the fossil plate.

Hey Bobby, yep that is a nice addition to your collection. Tim, provided a nice link showing the variety of sizes and some ID's. Good stuff!

Those plates are always interesting with all of the variety in plant types. Lots of great Alethopteris fragments on the front side of yours. The local collectors/experts can set me straight but I believe I see at least two other common types.....

post-1240-0-80569900-1315059627_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris