Plant?

jax

I found these the other day. THey are from lower cretaceous, I think Goodland formation. Im not sure if these are a type of plant or what. The bigger one looks like it would have had branches but all were broke off.

thanks for looking

Justin

post-221-1217026960_thumb.jpg

post-221-1217027053_thumb.jpg

post-221-1217027099_thumb.jpg

I am pretty sure those are worm tubes. I collect them when they

look cool like that.

Welcome to the forum!

That's really cool looking; to me, it resembles coral (or something like it). My first thought was worm tubes, but they seem too tightly packed.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

look cool like that.

These came from that spot I was telling you about. I wasnt sure if they were worms tubes either.

look cool like that.

Do you know what kind of worms? I'd like to know more...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

It's my understanding they are worm tubes but I won't swear to it. I used to think they were coral also. Some large pieces are like branches. Actually in that locality there are small horn corals, they look like a little cone with lines up the side and obvious coral detail in the "cup" portion. Most of them are totally packed with matrix and I think the original coral material is crystalised.

Auspex, I am afraid I know very little about them, and

most all the info seems to be in the journals, like JSTOR.

I did find this link that tells a little, but from the pic

of the fossil worm, it is probably not the same kind.

Worm Tubes Here

Welcome to the forum!

I've found stuff like that too and thought it was some sort of sponge. What does Wewokella look like? I've also found Serpulid worm tubes and they don't look the same.

...I did find this link that tells a little, but from the pic

of the fossil worm, it is probably not the same kind.

Thanks Roz. When I read the info at the link, it occurred to me that I have seen worm tubes encrusting shells that had nothing to do with deep ocean vents. Turns out that there are "Tube Worms", and there are worm tubes, the former building chitonous homes near deep-sea vents, and the latter building calcarious ones in shallower fresh and salt water environments. Jax's fossils look like the colonial, encrusting kind. Here's a link:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa37...03/ai_n16099427

I'd go with worm tubes.

They look very similar to these. I don't know if the Goodland formation corresponds to the British chalk, but these were found in the Cretaceous Chalk, Peacehaven, Kent, England.

Cenomanian - Campanian

Cycloserpula plexus. (J. de C. Sowerby)

post-45-1217072925_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Jax:

These are definitely worm tube bundles. These are referred to as serpulid worm tubes and are common in many Cretaceous rocks in Texas, especially in the Walnut, Comanche Peak and Goodland formations. They are also found periodically in the Washitan rocks (Fort Worth, Weno and Main Street especially) and in certain upper Cretaceous strata. They are various Serpula spp. I have seen species names attached to them, primarily based on the size and thickness of the tubes. I question most of the specific names, however, and list those that I have found as simply Serpula sp. Serpula is reported from the Silurian to Recent in the paleontological literature.

Regards,

Mike