Visiting Cincinnatti Area-Any Decent Fossil Areas?

fossiljunkie

hello everyone,

will probably be visiting the cincinnatti area and dayton area sometime in october. anybody want to share any possible locations that i can hit any of the days i may have some spare time?

i'm willing to drive about 1-2 hours out while i'm there. any help appreciated. thanks B)

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

caesar creek emergency spillway near waynesville

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I would also suggest Caesar Creek since it is about half way between Dayton & Cincinnati. You have to stop at the visitor center and grab a permit. The permit is free and they have a nice display of fossils so you will have a better idea what to look for. Close by are some decent road cuts just north of Waynesville along Rt 42 with similar exposures. These are all from the Richmond Group of the Cincinnatian which is upper Upper Ordovician.

Oakes Quarry Park in Fairborn has a good exposure of the Brassfield Limestone (Lower Silurian).

Trammel Fossil Park, in Sharonville, Ohio (northern suburb of Cinci) has great exposures of the Maysville Group which is middle Upper Ordovician.

These are all public places you can collect and they have information at each site to help you understand the geology.

Otherwise just about any road cut in the area that exposes the blue gray & buff Cincinnatian or the tan and red Silurian is likely to hold fossils. The Cinci stuff is the most fossiliferous with the Silurian being spotty. Stay off cuts on the interstates but otherwise you should be fine.

I would go to the Dry Dredgers web site <www.drydredgers.org> and look at field trip photos to get an idea what is in store.

I live in the area, a lot of road cuts hold Ordovician fossils. Bear in mind that it is illegal to stop on any Federal Interstate Highway , so stick to roadcuts on State roads or on-ramps. Even though it is legal it can be dangerous, Ohio drivers are well known to be hazards on wheels.

I'd recommend taking a trip down to the cuts in Northern Kentucky just off I-275.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.020184,-84.512007&spn=0.012053,0.027466&sll=39.027104,-84.52806&sspn=0.001506,0.003433&vpsrc=6&z=16

If you have more time, the roadcuts on the AA Highway (KY Route 9) toward Maysville, and intersecting roads in N KY are also good places to try.

Edited by OhioDave