Fossils And Artifacts, Cen Texas

thair

Went out with my son and grandson to clay pit and other locations this weekend. Russell found a couple good teeth and I found a good crinoid cup with part of the arms still on it. The tempiture finally droped below 125 degrees Monday so it sure was nice. Also went out to one of our Indian locations and found some more artifacts. The one artifact that Russell found was really exciteing is the rectangular hemitite stone with markings. I guess it was used to grind down the edges and/or bases of points. The fossil that was most interesting is the one that is pictured first. It is very similar to "Peripristis semicircularis" but dose not have the distinctive saw tooth edged blade like the others we have found. Possible just a freak but maybe at least new variation for collection. The other teeth "Petalodus sp." (posterior) and the crinoid I beleave is "Delocrinus vulgatus". The first set of points is what Russell found and the second set is what I found. (About even?)

post-3664-0-17198600-1315338009_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-96999100-1315338043_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-56797200-1315338068_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-66227200-1315338097_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-73636600-1315338135_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-71429100-1315338160_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-26900600-1315338179_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-48084700-1315338208_thumb.jpg

...The first set of points is what Russell found and the second set is what I found. (About even?)*

*I dunno, man; that hematite "grindstone" he found is pretty interesting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thair,

It looks like everyone had a great time. Sorry, but I have to agree with Auspex. I think you may have been out-done.

I wish I had gotten started as young as your grandson in this wonderful hobby. It looks like he's getting a wonderful start. I just wish I had discovered this hobby (obsession???) at such an early age.

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Thair,

It looks like everyone had a great time. Sorry, but I have to agree with Auspex. I think you may have been out-done.

I wish I had gotten started as young as your grandson in this wonderful hobby. It looks like he's getting a wonderful start. I just wish I had discovered this hobby (obsession???) at such an early age.

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

You and Auspex are right about the grinding stone thing. I told Russell that he did find one of our most unique artifacts. And my grandson dose have fun and had a sack full of rocks and shells. The thing you have to watch out for is if he is close to water he might try throw your artifacts in. Loves throwing rocks.

Tully, that is an interesting tooth.... The others are nice, too. I think the paleo point holds you a close second to Russell. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Tully, that is an interesting tooth.... The others are nice, too. I think the paleo point holds you a close second to Russell. ;)

John the tooth, root and all is the same shape as the saw tooth edged ones I was refering to but the blade edge is like a Petalodus.

• 1 year later...

Thair your offspring has certainly expressed the interest and heading in the right direction to be the next Indian Jones! I've been collecting fossils since I was about 12, artifacts in the last decade. The world is an amazing place, Your fortunate to have access to these camps,a real gem!