A Summer's Worth Of Texas Beachcombing

Ayto 6

I don't find many shark teeth on the beaches in Texas... There's way too much sediment in the water and sometimes you can't even find a shell. But I spend a LOT of time scanning the shallows and tide lines, and here's everything I found this summer.

post-5192-0-53750500-1315686900_thumb.jpg

Some of 'em have really nice color..

post-5192-0-16183700-1315687116_thumb.jpg

post-5192-0-05864400-1315687144_thumb.jpg

good job, and a good way to pass time. i bet you dream about rolling triangles. my son really likes looking for shark teeth at the coast.

I don't know if sifting would work or not... I just "discovered" fossil shark teeth this summer, so I'm still finding what works best. I brought a spaghetti strainer one day, but it just got clogged with broken shells. I suppose if your sifter had bigger holes, it would work, but then a lot of teeth would slip right thru. Or you could only sift where there's sand and no shells- but would shark teeth be there? I assumed they would only be where the shell pieces are... Also, I don't know if you should sift where it's dry, ankle deep, knee deep, waist deep, etc?? That would change the ratio of sand to shells..

Tracer: it's sad, but sometimes I see shark teeth when I close my eyes. It's by far my favorite thing to do. I usually don't see them "rolling" (like I read about online). The ones I find are just sitting at the tip-top of the tide line where water barely covers 'em up. The water along the Texas coast is usually so muddy that you can't see anything in 3 inches of water :(

Nice finds! It looks like a very productive summer.

I'm sure walking along the beach picking up teeth is much more pleasant than tredging around during 68 days of 100+ temperatures. I'm jealous!

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

I'm very interested to see Miocene/Pliocene finds like these from Texas, most Texan Shark's teeth are much older. Nice colours on the Carcharhinus sp..

You've done well. I've tried to find teeth around Galveston but always come up empty. My conclusion is that I'd have more luck 1) cutting the teeth out of a decaying shark sitting on the beach or 2) stopping in a random Cretaceous creek on the way home.

Your one-Summer-haul is more than my 15-years-of-searching collection...

Wish I had such a "productive" site near where I live.

Keep collecting and good finds to you!

Edited by paco

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Great haul!! Which Texas beach? If it's Galveston, could you be specific? We can't find 'em like we used to...

Great haul!! Which Texas beach? If it's Galveston, could you be specific? We can't find 'em like we used to...

The original poster hasn't been on this site since Oct 2011. So you never know, but I'd be really surprised if he replies to your question.

If you are going to ask a question in a thread where the last post was made almost 2 years ago, it's a good idea to check the profile of the person you are asking (just click on their name) and see if they are still active.

Don