fossil dude

Not really, 4 inch (about 11-12 cm) are quite common in Plio- Miocene layers.

Paco,

You are right! A 3-4 inch scaphopod would not make the top 10 list of long scaphopods. A quick Google search turned up some scaphopods that would go longer that 12 inches and over a inch in diameter at the mouth. Man they would have scared the bejabers out of any of my Texas Eocene scaphopods.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

what you have to keep in mind is these fossils are from the penn. period not the eocene, and they are from s/e okla.! also it seems some of them have a completely closed tip, also they are completely round not oval, they have no longitudional decoration!

what you have to keep in mind is these fossils are from the penn. period not the eocene, and they are from s/e okla.! also it seems some of them have a completely closed tip, also they are completely round not oval, they have no longitudional decoration!

You have a point...in my (amateur) opinion...the paragraph above and

the first paragraph below the picture on the above link warrants

discussion My link

Overview: My link

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

What a great learning experience! The threads fossil dude's finds have inspired are teaching many of us novices a lot about the more obscure mollusks. Next he'll be finding giant chitons out there and someone will be asking what's a polyplacophore? At least it's reassuring to see that even the experts don't agree on some things like the relationship of scaphopods to other mollusks that we learned about from Indy's link showing they have a connection to both gastropods and cephalopods! So, let's hear it for the forgotten four (classes of mollusk)! :goodjob:

Almost forgot two other new questions. If one end is completely close how did they perform some of those important bodily functions? And if there was an end view I missed it. Which are they oval or round?

Edited by BobWill

yes i will post new pics. tomorrow including one that is cut down the middle!

Thanks! That would be great, but I was really asking those with a known scaphopod to have a look since I haven't seen one from that angle. I believe you mentioned yours being round a couple of time but nobody responded soooo...by now ya'll should be used to my over-anal-yzing :P

hope these help! if there is a pic that you need in a larger format let me know and i'll re send it, thanks

post-6671-0-52537100-1315926595_thumb.jpgpost-6671-0-64690600-1315926622_thumb.jpgpost-6671-0-06063900-1315926673_thumb.jpgpost-6671-0-20587800-1315926703_thumb.jpg

Humor me here...how much do these look like the spine on this:

post-423-0-13117400-1315935881_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

hi auspex, they are not alike in any way, the spine on the whats it is a single layer that is rolled up and overlaps itself, the scaphites or whatever they are, have no edge they are perfectly joined, no seam! also the whats it has fine lirae all around the circumference, but i can see where you would wonder about them from just looking at rhe pics, thanks for looking and i certainly think the rostrochoncia is kin to the whats it, do you think there is more pics of it? God bless and happy hunting

Thanks! That would be great, but I was really asking those with a known scaphopod to have a look since I haven't seen one from that angle. I believe you mentioned yours being round a couple of time but nobody responded soooo...by now ya'll should be used to my over-anal-yzing :P

thank God for people who over analyze, thats how things get done, stick to it untill your sure, i like that, God bless and happy collecting

You have a point...in my (amateur) opinion...the paragraph above and

the first paragraph below the picture on the above link warrants

discussion My link

Overview: My link

the broken one on the left seems to be the same as mine!