Help!

Paleogirl98

Hi I was wondering what is the normal distance (from the fossil) that you use for air abrasion?

Edited by Paleogirl98

Hello Paleogirl98,

Welcome to the Forum. I have seen several people comment on prepping fossils with air/sand abrasion so I am sure you are going to get the answer you are looking for but I am sure it varies with grit and air pressure used as well as the composition of the matrix to be removed. I imagine it would take some experimenting or practice to find the best combination.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Hi I was wondering what is the normal distance (from the fossil) that you use for air abrasion?

Hello Paleogirl98, and welcome to the Forum! :D

I found this Link online : Air abrasives 101 - May be helpful.

Looks pretty informative. :)

Regards

EDIT : For some additional links... HERE.

Good Luck - Post your results!

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What they said. Also, you need to practice/experiment on pieces that have no value to you before committing to prep your prize specimen. Usually, you want to keep the pencil moving and at an angle to the object being prepped. Holding it in one spot or pointing it straight on can blow a hole right through the specimen or blast of pieces that you didn't want to.