Green Mill Post Irene

Swamp_Thing

Well anyone who has hunted at Green Mill after Irene paid her visit has certainly noticed a few changes to say the least. A stream that was once easily navigable has now all but required me to not only bring my shovel and screen, but a chainsaw as well. Okay I may not go that far, but standing in the now shin deep calm stream made me feel small when I could easily see that the water was raging 15 to 20 feet over my head just 5 days ago. Not only has the landscape changed, but the dynamics of the entire stream have changed as well. I used to always go to familiar, productive areas of the stream, but now it seems mother nature wanted to hit the restart button. And now it's a whole new ball game. Funny statistic, I always seem to find my nicest tiger shark teeth in the weirdest places that I least expect. Walking down the greenway that was recently water locked I found a big tiger laying right in the middle of the path. Nice! Later walking the stream I found a gravel pile someone had obviously been sifting through recently. About 5 feet away from their pile lay a 4" meg in about six inches of water. If this was your search pile this is the part where you kick yourself in the butt for not glancing at that one particular spot. Also found my nicest mosasaur thus far. I'll post pictures after a while. If you haven't been since the storm, and if you don't mind scrambling up the banks around all the downed trees, take a hunting trip here soon. Got to look at it glass half full, but to me it feels like GMR just got a new breath of life. Anyone else want to share similar experiences?

Anyone on the Forum want to make a trip to GMR in the middle of this comming week? If I don't have Jury Duty that is. If anyone can get away through the week and wants to go, send me a PM. It would be nice if we can get a few members together as I have not met anyone from the Forum. My best opportunity would be Wednesday or Thursday depending on Jury duty.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Rivers are always changing. I remember someone once saying "You never canoe the same stream twice"

Ramo

post-40-0-57465300-1315776040_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

You're kidding me! I am usually the first person to walk that place after a big storm. This time I just didn't make it over there. Last I checked the other day it was still really high. Sucks because it is practically in my back yard. :angry:

Boy you weren't kidding! Went over there this morning. That one spot is pretty much impassable due to the trees down. All the old gravel bars are gone and new ones have been formed. Just what I had been waiting for.

Edited by RickNC

Good luck guys, I still can't get close to my stream. We went down between storms for one partial day and it was the same, totally reworked sediment that had been moved to completely different places

It has definitely changed. Went Sunday. Found a few GW's nothing spectacular, but not in the usual places. Oh well, all the good stuff is still there somewhere. It was very evident to me though that someone beat us all there and scoured all the bars and banks without sifting. There should have been lots lying around and I found nothing exposed. A friend of mine was there thurs or fri and seen a fellow who had 5 real nice great whites.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

It has definitely changed. Went Sunday. Found a few GW's nothing spectacular, but not in the usual places. Oh well, all the good stuff is still there somewhere. It was very evident to me though that someone beat us all there and scoured all the bars and banks without sifting. There should have been lots lying around and I found nothing exposed. A friend of mine was there thurs or fri and seen a fellow who had 5 real nice great whites.

Yeah I noticed that. I walked from Elm St park all the way to the 10th st bridge. I didnt see a single tooth exposed. Been a lot of activity there lately.

Yeah I noticed that. I walked from Elm St park all the way to the 10th st bridge. I didnt see a single tooth exposed. Been a lot of activity there lately.

Yeah I saw 7 different people and groups there Saturday. Most I've seen there in a while. Mosquitos are the size baseballs right now and mad as fire.

Man I almost went last Wednesday but the 60% chance of rain turned me off. I don't think it rained a drop that day, go figure. But yeah you could tell by Saturday that most things large and obvious were gone if they were there at all. Still found that nice 4" meg laying on the bottom though. The shear force of water moving sediment further down gives me a hunch that scoping out even further down stream could yield some nice results.

Yeah I saw 7 different people and groups there Saturday. Most I've seen there in a while. Mosquitos are the size baseballs right now and mad as fire.

Yeah that explains it then. Anytime those groups show up its like that. The skeeters are like that everywhere right now. Can barely even stay in my backyard because of them.