Northeast Field Trip For Students?

NHJeff

Hi everyone,

So I am a high school English teacher, but each year between semesters, we get this period of 3 days where we can teach a class on basically anything we'd like. Many teachers arrange trips and teach about things they are passionate about. I was considering the possibility of putting together a paleontology field trip. I was wondering if anybody had any advice. We would leave out of Bedford, NH (next to Manchester). We would have access to busses and suplies.

Does anyone know of a place that I could take 15-25 kids on a dig and get some good results? Perhaps somewhere with a field guide? I'd love to go to a place that could yield some good results. I was thinking maybe the Great Lakes? Does anyone have any suggestions for who I could talk to?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Agreed. Excellent place with a guarantee of finding fossils.

It's kind of a haul from NH! You're talking 9-10 hour trip. Plus a small fortune in tolls!:blink:

Penn Dixie link

The Docents are knowledgeable and helpful.

Or you could go unguided to St.Clair PA. Again, a 7 hour trip at least, with no guide.

Rickard Hill Rd. In Schoharie NY may be worth a try - guaranteed fossils, and a little closer than Penn Dixie.

No Guide, but I have a field guide that I could send you. Also only 4.5 hour trip!

Rickard Hill RD Link.

The alternative would be to get some fossil gravel from somewhere Online - if you google fossil gravel, there are a few places that offer it - you could look for fossils in the classroom. :)

Best of luck, Jeff.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tims suggestion of ST. Clair PA would be a good one. It's a shame you're so far away. Few places meet your criteria, support 15 - 25 individuals and have guaranteed results. Most sites are small outcroppings that take a fair amount of work to maybe find something worthwhile. Penn Dixie, ST Clair or Calvert cliffs come to mind, but all quite far. An ad-hoc field guide for any of these places could easily be made via the internet. Perhaps you could make it part of the program.

Hi Jeff..try contacting the Geology Dept at a nearby University or College and ask for recommendations where you could take your students locally, their Professor's would have locations that they take their own students to for in-the-field assignments. When my daughter attended her first year at a local Univ. I got to meet the Prof. of Geology Dept. during a parent/student sponsored weekend and upon learning what a fossil nut I was, he invited me to go along on one of their fieldtrips, it's worth a shot.

thank you all for such great advice. i will scope all those out and figure out what my budget is for a trip. its student funded for the most part. they would sign up for it, so charging them for tolls and such is no big deal. I will also check in with the Univ. of NH. I am an alum there too!

Thanks again!

Take a look at this website - http://fossilsites.com/STATES/NH.HTM

i dont know if any of the sites listed here are close to you, and they definitely would need checking out before you go to them. I have found many good fossil localities with this website. Just to be clear, thoroughly check out a site before you go to it, and check local regulations and safety before you bring a group.

-Ben

Ben,

I've used that site with varying degrees of success. It's hard to good places in a state made of granite. I really need a large venue where its pretty much a "sure thing" that we'll find some good stuff. I understand that's not really how it works in the real world, but I'll have a bunch of impatient teenagers and 3 days including travel to get some real field time in.

I'll be doing some exploring up there on my own this fall though for sure!

Try this link from www.rockhounds.com:

NH LINK

Networking is always a great way to find fellow fossil enthusiasts in your state. I know from experience that even though the primary interest for these clubs are minerals, there will be a representative faction of folks that enjoy fossils as well.

Good Luck! :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi everyone,

So I am a high school English teacher, but each year between semesters, we get this period of 3 days where we can teach a class on basically anything we'd like. Many teachers arrange trips and teach about things they are passionate about. I was considering the possibility of putting together a paleontology field trip. I was wondering if anybody had any advice. We would leave out of Bedford, NH (next to Manchester). We would have access to busses and suplies.

Does anyone know of a place that I could take 15-25 kids on a dig and get some good results? Perhaps somewhere with a field guide? I'd love to go to a place that could yield some good results. I was thinking maybe the Great Lakes? Does anyone have any suggestions for who I could talk to?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Jeff,

I own a good chunk of property in Greenfield Township. I guarantee fossils.

If interested nhamm<at>yahoo.com

post-6852-0-27885300-1315915687_thumb.jpg

I believe that not to far from St Clair, there's an abandoned coal mine tour. Possibly could be part of your trip, if you came down here. Bet if you put up a post that you were heading to St Clair for your trip, you'd have a couple FF members wanting to show up and help out, I'd do it. As well, not far from St Clair, there's a Devonian site that's a "sure thing". Called Deer Lake, on rt 61.

I would also suggest Rickard Hill Road at Schoharie, NY. I wrote the field guide Fossil Dude mentioned. It is pretty darn rich and we )NYPS) took larger groups there without a problem. An additional suggestion would be to contact the folks at Thacher State Park <http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/128/details.aspx> near Albany. They used to give guided tours specifically on geology. The rocks there would be the same ones at Rickard Hill. You may want to also contact my friends at the New York Paleontological Society about when they will be going next. Rickard Hill is visited almost every other year and they would be very happy to have the company of your students. Contact Donald Phillips via their web site.