Earthquake & Hurricane Lackluster Results

cowsharks

From a fossil collecting standpoint the recent Earthquake in MD and passing Hurricane/Tropical storm Irene did not do much by way of churning up more fossils or new fossil material. The additional rain last week from storm Lee produced from 15 to 30 inches of rain across parts of MD. The weathermen said it was something that one would experience only once every 500 years. So, like many other's I hit my favorite spots along the Chesapeake Bay, Calvert Cliffs and points south on the Potomac river. There weren't really any new falls at any of the spots along the river nor Chesapeake bay, at least the places I go to. The tides are still almost a foot above normal, but even when they recede to normal levels I don't expect too much.

I took my youngest son to Calvert Cliffs this past Sat. We waded through almost waste deep water at times, and there was almost no beach to be seen at low tide. I knew this was going to be the case before we even got there so I wasn't too disappointed when I saw how high the water was. We came prepared with buckets, shovels, and screens for sifting. We sifted material from a few "old piles", picking material from below the high tide level so as to keep "legal".

In the end we came away with a few decent shark teeth and a nice shark vert. I'll post pics tonight after our camera is done drying out. Turns out the zip-loc baggie I had the camera in had a hole and water got in - :wacko:, and the same for my son's cellphone, which we confirmed last night is dead. Good thing I'm ready for a free upgrade.

Daryl.