Planning A Trip To London, Ontario Canada

sward

My wife and I are planning a trip to London, Ontario Canada during the middle of October, 2011. The purpose of the trip as far as my wife is concerned is our niece's wedding. The purpose of the trip as far as I'm concerned is to go fossil hunting. ;) I'm an old Texas boy and would love to go hunting in a "foreign country".

I'm in the process of trying to find some hunting locations in the London area as we will be there several days. From what I've read so far in the Forum, Arkona seems to be the place to go. I get the impression this is a working quarry. Do you have to have permission to hunt there? If so, is there a particular contact?

Are there other areas in the London area that would be worth checking out? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We don't know the exact dates of our travels yet, but I would love to meet some of our Canadian forum members to go fossil hunting with while I'm in the area. If any of ya'll ever end up in the Dallas, TX area, I would be glad to return the favor.

BRGDS

sward

DFW, Tx

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Arkona would be THE place to go in the area. It's about 45 minutes west of London. It is NOT a working quarry, at least not very often, and no permission is needed. It's really more of a clay pit than a quarry as well. When your dates are confirmed, be sure to post them. I'm sure either myself or someone would be happy to meet you there.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Arkona would be THE place to go in the area. It's about 45 minutes west of London. It is NOT a working quarry, at least not very often, and no permission is needed. It's really more of a clay pit than a quarry as well. When your dates are confirmed, be sure to post them. I'm sure either myself or someone would be happy to meet you there.

North Sharks,

Thanks alot. As soon as I can confirm some dates, I'll post them.

I look forward to meeting some of my northern fossil hunters!

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

How far from London are you willing to drive. There is always the JD quarry on Lake Simcoe and the Ridgemont Quarry at Fort Erie. And if you are willing to cross over into Buffalo, NY there are many collecting localities in that area. All are at least two hour drive from London.

crinus

Definately Arkona, let us know the dates for sure , October should still be resonable weather

How far from London are you willing to drive. There is always the JD quarry on Lake Simcoe and the Ridgemont Quarry at Fort Erie. And if you are willing to cross over into Buffalo, NY there are many collecting localities in that area. All are at least two hour drive from London.

crinus

Crinus,

I'm from Texas, so a couple of hours dirve is nothing. It takes me that long to get to work and back. Thanks for the additional sites. Do you need permission to enter these quarries?

I'm really excited about finding some new types of fossils. Texas is abundant with all types, but I'm always looking forward to searching new areas.

BRGDS,

sward

DFW, TX

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Ridgemount quarry, near Niagara Falls, is Silurian. It is an active working quarry, but they will allow collectors in on Fridays only, with a previous reservation. The problem at that site is that if you don't have the right equipment, you'd be wasting your time. You'd need at least a small sledge and chisels, plus all necessary safety gear, although a large sledge and a shovel are probably better. Even then, your odds of finding anything complete aren't great. It is a well known Eurypterid site.

Lake Simcoe area, where I live and do most of my hunting, is about 3 hrs from London. It is also a working quarry, Ordovician in age. You'd need to sign their waiver, but they have no problem with collectors coming in. You can get away with a small rock hammer for the majority of the stuff there, but again, you'd need safety boots and a hard hat at the minimum.

Arkona is mostly loose pieces, Devonian in age, and a rock hammer is enough to pry stuff out of the clay. No safety gear is needed, although steel toes may not be a bad idea

If you need contact info, or a copy of the waiver, send me a PM

Edited by Northern Sharks

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else