Pyritized Trilobites In New York

ebrocklds

hey all, i have purchased a trip to the beechers's trilobite quarries in upstate New York. it is for two people. i was going to take thefossilhunter but he decided to smash his hand and can no longer fill the spot. here are the details.

Date august 15th-18th (the dig is on Saturday the 16th)

i paid around $425 for the entrance for two people

i also already have my plane tickets to and from JFK.

i am looking for someone that lives on NY or someone willing to fly there to drive with me to near syracuse and dig for the day.

we would split equally the gas and cost of rental car if needed.

we would camp at a site near Utica. (i am still working on getting that info)

you could keep what you find.

here are some pictures of what is to be found

http://indiana9fossils.com/Trilobites/Tril...rthrus/lg1a.JPG

http://indiana9fossils.com/Trilobites/Tril...arthrus/lg6.JPG

http://www.yale.edu/ypmip/locations/beechers/

these are very special and scarce trilobites. although they are small. this quarry will no longer be offering the pay to dig, and i think that i will be the last one to go. prep on these bugs is delicate but i would be willing to work with you to get the prep done.

i will need to know this week. please send me a PM and i can get you my pcell number and we can talk about the details if you are interested.

thanks

Brock

Guest solius symbiosus

I might be able to swing it, if no one else takes you up on the offer. Check your PMs.

Those are beautiful. Good luck solius if you go. I hope I can see one of those next time I am in your area.

Beecher's Trilobite Quarries?

I heard and read about it....famous trilobite quarries! You plan go there.....wish you best luck and post us what you find!

it looks like i have filled the spot. i will repost if needs be. and yes we will post pictures of the site and whatever we find.

Brock

I wish you all the best in that quarry. The fossils from the quarry are world famous and pretty interesting specially because the soft parts conservation as pyrite. Unfortunatelly NY is still a bit far away from SPain, moreover i will be the same day collecting trilobites in the Czech Republic outcrops where the first serious works on trilobites were carried out by Barrande hundreds years ago!!!!

I hope i will be able to post some nice pictures!

Man, I use to live like an hour from that place. Crazy what kind of stuff is all around you and you would never even know it.

Good luck! Man, am I ever envious! I just recently got into the trilobite end of fossil hunting. Perhaps you'll have some extra to trade Ebrocklds ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I wish you luck on your trip. I tried looking for Triarthrus in the Ordovician rocks here and across the river in Northern Kentucky. If I found one with legs and antennae preserved--like in the Yale pictures--I would fall over!

Again--Good luck--and I hope your finds exceed your expectations.

• 11 months later...

Oh darn, looks like i'm too late. I'm only 4 hours from there too. Oh well, if something comes up let me know.

Oh man , lucky dog , what beautiful Trilobites , would love to have one with soft body parts intact .

Hope you have good luck and find tons of them .

Green with envy !

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Wow!! That place is definitely on my to go list.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I think it's time to plan another trip? :D I'd really like to find some nice trilo sites in my area!!!

You should have an amazing time.

Do you mind posting the contact info for the quarry? Other info I have read about the Beecher quarry states it is closed to the public. How did you set up the trip?

Thanks and good luck!

Dave

Just a little FYI: this thread is a year old...

The archives tend to resurface as folks explore the site, and it is not always clear at a glance that the topic is an historical document :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

so are you saying the price has gone up?

and why aren't the trilobites tarnished in the pictures if they're that old?

yep, noticed that just after hitting "Add Reply". I will search for the trip report.

Dave

Dave, your quest for information is no less valid for the age of the topic; that's why we encourage mining the archives. How else can folks who weren't here a year ago learn this stuff? I just wanted to point it out in case an answer isn't immediately forthcoming.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Okay who started this thread again ?

SO what was found on the 1 year old trip ?

Okay who started this thread again ?

SO what was found on the 1 year old trip ?

CLICK HERE

for the trip. I really would like to get up there or at least have a trilobite like they found :)

CLICK HERE

for the trip. I really would like to get up there or at least have a trilobite like they found :)

Thanks for the link . Man that leg looked terrible , made me shiver just looking at it .

So any pictures of the Trilos after preparation ?