Arizona Shell On Camelback Mountain

Scarab

Hey guys i could only take a picture,i had no tools on me.This was about 1,000 feet up on Camelback Mountain which is in the middle of Phoenix in Arizona.Wish i had more to post but i am a newbie and have yet ever find a fossil to bring home! :(

post-6814-0-87131200-1316306495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scarab

Cool! Looks like a high-spired gastropod of some kind.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I spent the warmest winter of my life in Phoenix back in the early 90's. A friend and I used to hike up camelback mountain all the time and catch chuckwallas.

(Sorry I can't help with an ID)

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I spent the warmest winter of my life in Phoenix back in the early 90's. A friend and I used to hike up camelback mountain all the time and catch chuckwallas.

(Sorry I can't help with an ID)

Ramo

Haha ya there alot of those guys up there i love lizards!! I can ID any lizard! :D Thanks guys glad to share!

As a kid I used to rock-climb Camelback.. before it had houses all around it. I particularly like climbing 'The Monk'.. anyway, I used to see fossils occasionally in the conglomerates that form the mountain. You can finf a LOT up in the North Kaibab but it's a LONG drive.

Welcome to the Forum!

~Mike (formerly of Phoenix)

All your fossils are belong to us

• 4 months later...

Part of Camelback Mountain is a Tertiary conglomerate-- so maybe a fossil from an older time that was washed out in a delta, then compressed with other rocks to form the conglomerate during the Tertiary.

Many ways to collect fossils. Pictures are good, no need to bring them home especially if extraction is likely to damage them.