Fossil Or No Fossil?

Petrified

I found this rock yesterday and I couldnt decide if it was a fossil or mother nature.

post-623-1217251731_thumb.jpg

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

Fossil; "bark impression". It even has coal in the seams; nice :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

the weirdest part about this rock is that its shale.

Yeah, it's an impression, not a petrified log; it's where a log was laying in the mud.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

On what part of the planet did you find that? It is interesting. I don't usually see wood impressions, just the petrified wood.

Guest solius symbiosus

It wouldn't be petrified; that would indicate replacement. Can you get some close ups of the side, and where the ridges meet the troughs. It could be weathering patterns in the shale ... where different layers broke away. Hard to tell from the photo.

Is it micro grained, or can you make out grain size with a hand lens(or the naked eye)?

I found a neat fossil today at my mother-in-laws driveway today. It looks like a worm in the rock. I marked little black lines below to give you an idea of the markings. This is obviously a fossil but input would be nice. Solius I know this aint petrifed because its the wrong type of rock. I just wanted an input on opinions I guess.

post-623-1217283964_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

I am not so sure this one is a fossil. Can't see any detail in the picture, but it looks like an iron stain in the rock. If there is detail visible, try to capture it in a photo.

On what part of the planet did you find that? It is interesting. I don't usually see wood impressions, just the petrified wood.

Pretty common in Pennsylvanian "coal-swamp" deposits. If you enlarge the pic and look in the crevices, you can see some carbonized material.

Guest solius symbiosus

^^I was kind of thinking that it was siltstone, or sandstone. The carbonized material being debris on the swamp floor. If it is shale, it is unlikely to have that kind of material.

nevermind the rocks not shale. I took some more pics of this one. I was working on the other fossil and I broke it lol. So its no good now lol. the first pic i drew a layer of the markings how its seperated from the rock. Almost like bark how its seperated from a tree.

post-623-1217292673_thumb.jpg

post-623-1217292766_thumb.jpg

post-623-1217292789_thumb.jpg

post-623-1217292835_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

I think that it is a sandstone. I think that I see flakes of muscovite reflecting the light. Sometimes, you can split it along zones of weakness and find some good stuff.

I found this rock yesterday and I couldnt decide if it was a fossil or mother nature.

Is it just me........................ or can you see a face in there ? :rolleyes:

Is it just me........................ or can you see a face in there ? :rolleyes:

Yeah; looks like some "rock" star.

I found some really cool fossils today and one rock im unsure of let me know what ya think.

post-623-1217727237_thumb.jpg

I found some really cool fossils today and one rock im unsure of let me know what ya think.

lools to me like mineral stains along what was a crack in the thing. maybe iron oxide? there are lots of things like that which look interesting enough to "be something", but,,,

That one doesn't set off my fossil radar.