Gold-Replaced Bone Or Pseudofossil?

Fossilcollector

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a fossil or a pseudofossil?

• Fossil - gold replaced bone
    • Pseudofossil - odd looking piece of gold
    • Not sure - need more!

So this is one of my odd finds from the Denver show. I was picking out tiny gold crystals from a pile when I noticed a bone-shaped piece of gold. It really looked like a bone and has features on both sides. It measures about 1/4 of an inch.

Gold is hydrothermally deposited, so technically it could infill a cavity that was left by a bone...(remember that there are emerald replaced fossils, pyrite fossils, and turquoise fossils). Or it's just an oddly shaped piece of gold.

post-1163-0-78213200-1316668962_thumb.jpg

post-1163-0-25840700-1316668976_thumb.jpg

post-1163-0-92897700-1316668988_thumb.jpg

post-1163-0-39311500-1316668998_thumb.jpg

At the moment I'm accepting that it's a pseudofossil, until I can find more specimens...

- Yinan

Good point, if you looked at it with a decent loupe you could check for casting seams or machining marks, although they could easily be polished out.

Theres probably a gold nugget somewhere that bares a resemblance to Donald Duck... Purely coincidental I would say...lol :D

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Well, if it came from a reliable supplier of mined gold crystals, I'd say it's just a weird nugget. Gold filling in a fossil or bone void is beyond my believability. I don't know how it would "pour" itself in there without other minerals. But you know what? The chances of a fossil even happening from a given bone are slim so I guess it could happen. Here's some stuff made by humans.

Edited to remove images. If you want to see three or four similar "bones" you can go to Google Images and put in "gold bones."

Edited by BisonLatifrons