Devonian Fish From Scotland

sjaak

Hello again,

Returned from Thurso, Scotland, where I had the opportunity to look for fossils on the east side of the shore. The rocks are of Devonian age.

Pic 1 en 2: fish tooth?, about 1 cm;

Pic 3: small mandible with teeth; about 1 cm, a bit eroded

Pic 4: head plate of a fish; in the local museum I saw resemblance with gyroptychius milleri, is fragile and needs prep;

Hopefully, someone can help me a bit further.

Regards,

Niels

post-4293-0-98168300-1317071828_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-58866100-1317071838_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-27228900-1317071850_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-84784200-1317112872_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjaak

I like the tooth :wub:

Pic 3 (or 4) is missing; is the one there of the head plate?

The "trackway" does look chiseled to me; the layers of sediment are cut through, not depressed nor displaced. Looks like they intended to take part of the slab (or did take part of what was on top).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

sjaak... Very nice finds well done... I cant really be specific with your ID's as I dont have any literature on the Devonian in Scotland, I can only go off what I have found in the Upper Carboniferous but...

Pic 1 & 2...your tooth very much looks like a Rhizodont tooth...

post-1630-0-17420300-1317115183_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-67946100-1317114487_thumb.jpg

Pic 3 small mandible with teeth... The pattina visible on the piece showing could possibly also be strepsodus scales...Heres an example of a species found in scotland and I found this in the NW Uk... Strepsodus anculonamensis sp scales...

post-1630-0-47251900-1317114457_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Those are neat finds!

PL

Hello again,

Returned from Thurso, Scotland, where I had the opportunity to look for fossils on the east side of the shore. The rocks are of Devonian age.

Pic 1 en 2: fish tooth?, about 1 cm;

Pic 3: small mandible with teeth; about 1 cm, a bit eroded

Pic 4: head plate of a fish; in the local museum I saw resemblance with gyroptychius milleri, is fragile and needs prep;

Hopefully, someone can help me a bit further.

Regards,

Niels

Thanks for the reactions!

@ Terry Dactyll: Looks indeed a lot like Rhizodont! Scales on the other pic could be possible, however, my untrained eye sees something like a row of tiny teeth. I found other fossils that seem to match your scales. After a little prep I will put them on the forum.

sjaak... It will be intresting to see some close-up photo's when you have uncovered more of the palate as well as the scales... I'll look forward to it...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 1 month later...

The fish head after prep. Others will follow ( some time...)

Does somebody have an idea how to cut the matrix in a nice square or something like that?

post-4293-0-31455200-1320433636_thumb.jpg

post-4293-0-56456700-1320433646_thumb.jpg

I think this is the one:

http://www.landforms...s%20milleri.htm

Good detective work!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks. The website gives an interesting dimension to the fossil that I wasn't aware of:

"The crossopterygians, lobbed finned fishes, played an important role in the Orcadian Basin and in the evolution of man.

In the lake, these fast swimming fishes with their strong teeth were the top predators. They evolved to form the first land animals during the Upper Devonian.

The similarity of the skull and dermal skull bones and the bony structure supporting the paired fins are striking when compared with the first land animals."

http://www.landforms.eu/orkney/Fossils/Crossoperigians.htm