Cleaning Marine Fossils

central texas

Hi. I would like to know what people use to clean fossils. These are marine fossils, lots of clam, oyster and other shells in sediment, from the mid Cretaceous here in Central Texas.

Second, As I was reading old threads I saw a collection that had a clump of sediment with many of the shell creatures protruding from the top. Is there something I can soak the clumps of fossils to eat away some of the sediment but not the fossil?

I did find a thread named "How To Clean An Ammonite" by betto0222 but couldn't find the text to go with it.

It's OK to laugh if these questions seem basic, but I'm just starting. :)

Bob

http://tinyurl.com/3fysz5y

---

Bob Smith

Central Texas Cretaceous

31°02'54.27N - 97°55'56.08W

Large map of the formations where I am located

http://tinyurl.com/3ral5cy

mid Cretaceous (~100 m.y.)

Border of the Trinity Group and the Fredricksburg / L. Washita Groups

Walnut Clay Formation in the Fredricksburg Group

I know vinegar will eat away at the limestone but will also eat the fossil, so I will be interested in seeing what answers you will get. For some I have used my engraver to highlight the shell and using a brush, have brushed on vinegar to smooth the rock area I have chipped away (Does that make sense?)

TxGator 15

"The older I get, the more into fossils I become...Coincidence?"

Second, As I was reading old threads I saw a collection that had a clump of sediment with many of the shell creatures protruding from the top. Is there something I can soak the clumps of fossils to eat away some of the sediment but not the fossil?

If you find the "Magic" solution to preform this task,

and "Patten" it...You'll become a millionaire overnight :)

If you want to get into fossil preparation you will quickly

discover there are many tools and solutions available to

preform "Specific" tasks AND depending on the quality of

preparation you desire...You can easily spend a ton of money

acquiring various tools ;)

Speaking from Experience:

There's just no magic solution or magic all-in-one tool

If your looking for advise on how to prepare a specific fossil with

with the equipment you have on hand....Post a picture and describe

the matrix as to its density and other characteristics. Only then,

will those with experience, be able to offer suggestions B)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

If you find the "Magic" solution to preform this task,

and "Patten" it...You'll become a millionaire overnight :)

Thank you Indy. It seems nothing is simple in the Fossil world. :)

This sediment is what I'm wondering about. How could some of the surface fossils be detached or if it's even worth the trouble to even try.

I'm sorry I forgot to add something to scale the rock but they are a little smaller than bowling ball size.

Thanks.

Addition: Rocks are from Central Texas Cretaceous inland sea.

post-6965-0-48721000-1317253745_thumb.jpg

post-6965-0-19799000-1317253749_thumb.jpg

post-6965-0-24230700-1317253752_thumb.jpg

post-6965-0-51045200-1317253755_thumb.jpg

Edited by central texas

---

Bob Smith

Central Texas Cretaceous

Bob, that stuff isn't coming out of that rock, at least not without a fight. Mechanical means is the only way to get at it and it can be tough. It will also damage the surrounding fossils. Those kind of oysters aren't worth the trouble. Nature's erosion seems to be the best way. Rain will eventually dissolve the matrix, but it takes a long time.

Ha - no, either explosives ;) or jackhammer... mini-jackhammer that is, ie airscribe, Chicago Pneumatic 9361 or similar. But only if there is a specific fossil in the rock that is worth the effort! I dont know if that particular type of matrix will dissolve in any substance without the fossils also being affected, but who knows.. Good luck

• 1 month later...

Thank you all. I'm just trying to learn the tricks of the trade. :) Those are definitely going into the flower garden, as is. :)

---

Bob Smith

Central Texas Cretaceous

toenail oyster hash commingled with limestone is a texas tradition. learn to love it as it is, cuz life is too short to waste it trying to disassemble that stuff.

My only other suggestion is to go out and break a lot of rock until you get some that pop out without need for prepping.

Just had a thought (believe it or not): if that stuff is limestone, are the fossils siliceous (non-calcareous), and if so, wouldnt a muriatic solution break down the matrix and release the fossils? Not that I would go thru the trouble if the fossils are wave-worn fragments of shells, but if there is any hint of complete valves anywhere in that stuff I would give it a try.

For fossils in sandstone, michigantim has posted a link in this thread http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/25576-fossil-cleaning/ (scroll down a bit) to a paper explaining an experimental chemical method for that.

muriatic acid is not a good thing to put on this stuff. nothing is. if you just want an isolated oyster or three, there are usually plenty loose ones found somewhere near the bazillions of them embedded in limestone. but they are usually sufficiently married to their matrix that til way after death them don't part.

Hmm.. you mean to say muriatic acid doesnt affect the limestone matrix, or that it does affect the fossil? But you're right, if there are loose ones to be found nearby then that would be the way to go.

Thanks to all of you. I'm not going to try to remove them, they're actually kind of pretty just the way they are.

---

Bob Smith

Central Texas Cretaceous