Help To Id

daveyboy42

Hate to throw in another suggestion but could it be Euphorberia tracks family Chilopoda arthropods

no i dont think so !! sorry Euphorbia was a terrestrial arthropod !!

Im being thicker than a whale sandwich again !!!!

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

I just noticed on the mystery fossil that the space between the grooves gets smaller toward the middle then increases again. This would seem to eliminate mold and have the creature slowing it's pace briefly then moving on. Am I seeing that right?

I just noticed on the mystery fossil that the space between the grooves gets smaller toward the middle then increases again. This would seem to eliminate mold and have the creature slowing it's pace briefly then moving on. Am I seeing that right?

Going right out on a limb, I noticed also that there are some Cambrian rocks in the area, is there a possibility that this could be a late form of Ediacaran fauna trace fossil?. Im sure i read somewhere that although earlier thoughts suggested that this fauna died out at the cusp of the Cambrian explosion ( started late Pre-Cambrian) there are now some who think there may have been survivors of this fauna existing into the Cambrian.

Thats of course if there are sedimentary Cambrian rocks at this site ?? :unsure:

Going right out on a limb, I noticed also that there are some Cambrian rocks in the area, is there a possibility that this could be a late form of Ediacaran fauna trace fossil?. Im sure i read somewhere that although earlier thoughts suggested that this fauna died out at the cusp of the Cambrian explosion ( started late Pre-Cambrian) there are now some who think there may have been survivors of this fauna existing into the Cambrian.

Thats of course if there are sedimentary Cambrian rocks at this site ?? :unsure:

That is quite a provocative theory. Did you have the Ediacaran fossil, Charnia sp. in mind as a possibility? There is certainly a similarity but the segments of Charnia are offset and the mystery fossil segments (chambers) are directly opposed bilaterally. Regardless, thanks for suggesting that as a interesting new organism to consider and evaluate here.

LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Just to add my initial reaction with fossils found, and it probably being Devonian and one pygidium of a trilobite...the mystery fossil looks to me to be part of the impression or such of a trilobite thorax? Given the pygidium that seems the most likely guess I would make...

That is quite a provocative theory. Did you have the Ediacaran fossil, Charnia sp. in mind as a possibility? There is certainly a similarity but the segments of Charnia are offset and the mystery fossil segments (chambers) are directly opposed bilaterally. Regardless, thanks for suggesting that as a interesting new organism to consider and evaluate here.

LINK

Yes but was thinking more along the lines of attached thumbnail

from this My link

post-6560-0-48920400-1317889716_thumb.gif

Edited by ckmerlin

OK I'm looking for mine also found one just like same scale it was YEARssssss ago.. Trying to locate it for pictures maybe my pics will help...Here is the issue with the one I have :o it came from a glacial erratic so I have no way to tell what formation it came from definitively ................ :blink: I'm gonna take a field guess based on the rock it was found in and say Devonian.. I have to find that fossil...

• 1 month later...

Considering that all the other fossils in this material are lacking shell (dissolved away leaving cavities), and that there are thin-line cavities in the mystery item, I'm leaning toward piranha's interpretation (#49 above) as nautiloid... the siphuncle would run thru that gap in the middle where the chamber walls don't connect.

-I know it's an old thread, just thought I'd dredge it up as the matter appears to be unsettled!

Edited by Wrangellian