Mosasaur Vertebra

Mosalover

Hi everybody!|

This is a mosasaurvertebra from Arkansas, Saratogo Chalk.

I hope you can help me with the species.

post-7037-0-18749600-1317561898_thumb.jpg post-7037-0-54398100-1317561935_thumb.jpg

post-7037-0-26510100-1317561948_thumb.jpg post-7037-0-13104900-1317561986_thumb.jpg

Hello Mosalover,

Very nice vert. Looks like it is in pretty good condition. Nice find.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Beautiful preservation!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Not sure of the species, but it is a cervical vertebra that is very close to the skull. :wub:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Mosalover,

I'm not sure what someone from The Netherlands was doing in Arkansas, but it looks like it was a very successful trip (at least if you were looking for fossils).

Nice find. I only wish I could find such a nice vert.

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

It looks like a possible Halisaurus vert to me...

Yes, please check with Mike.. He would know..

Very, very nice!

Welcome to the forum!

It is interesting, i have a cervical vertebra Prognathodon giganteus and it is about the same size. So maybe it is not halisaur but a bigger species. Doesn't matter to me of course. We will see what Mike brings us....

I think I'd go with Halisaurus as well. The rounded surface that articulates with other vertebrae is conspicuously shorter top-to-bottom than it is side-to-side, which is a typical Halisaurus feature. In other mosasaurs the dimensions are more nearly equal. I'll be interested to hear what Mike Everhart has to say. I'm still just learning about how to ID mosasaur vertebrae myself.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I think I'd go with Halisaurus as well. The rounded surface that articulates with other vertebrae is conspicuously shorter top-to-bottom than it is side-to-side, which is a typical Halisaurus feature. In other mosasaurs the dimensions are more nearly equal. I'll be interested to hear what Mike Everhart has to say. I'm still just learning about how to ID mosasaur vertebrae myself.

Don

Hi all,

Mike Everhart forwarded the pics to Mike Polcyn,

Mike: here is the answer!

> Hi all,

> It is definitely Plioplatecarpus sp. . Mid-cervical ( C4 or C5?) We have multiple quadrates, other skull parts, and quite a bit of postcrania (including limb material) from this taxon (thanks to Kelly). I have compared to the type material of P. primaevus and there are differences, so I will only refer to Plioplatecarpus sp. at this time.

> Mike

>

> Mike Polcyn

> Roy M. Huffington Department of Earth Sciences

> 3225 Daniel Avenue

> Southern Methodist University

> Dallas, Texas 75275

Edited by Mosalover
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the update. As I said, I'm learning about these vertebrae, and I thought Halisaurus was the only one with dorso-ventrally compressed vertebrae. Now I know otherwise.

What a beautiful specimen too! You must have been thrilled to find that.

Don

As a mosalover i,m still totally thrilled by my halisaurus arambourgi jaws, there from Khouribga Morocco.

Hope you like it.

post-7037-0-47834200-1318176835_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mosalover