New To The Interesting World Of History Hunting

Saskquatch

Hi folks, I am quite new to hunting for fossils/Bones/Etc however now that my children are old enough to walk distances, we are having a great time searching. This year we had a huge flood which ran 18 plus feet of torrential current through parts of the Qu'Appelle system here in Saskatchewan and eroded 100's of years of soil from the sides of the remote river banks. We went out on probably a 15-20 mile hike last weekend and found 100's of buffalo bones including 5 horns/parital skulls and dozens of teeth, and a perfect spear head/point. Although we did not carry many of the other bones back with us (or damage them), they are literally 10-50 feet apart along the entire dry sandy river bottom and banks.

We are planning on going out again this weekend and taking our time to search for more interesting items and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to specifically look for. Thanks in advance

wondering if anyone had any advice on what to specifically look for...

Suggest that you not consider what others might find interesting

and focus on what you find of interest. Collect the specimens and

take pictures to share and discuss.

:pic:

We all are not focused on the same subject. Collect what you find

interesting and then share images for discussion. In doing so, you

may discover new interests. :)

Good Hunting

Barry

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

...We are planning on going out again this weekend and taking our time to search for more interesting items and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to specifically look for. Thanks in advance

If I were you, I would collect representative specimens of all the bones that I could find. Teeth and jaws are the things that most collectors find interesting. I like the tarsals and carpals (the ankle bones), particularly the articulating sets (even if composite) of these bones.

At your leisure, these bones can be consolidated, identified, marked, and stored as your comparative collection. Such a collection would be valuable over the course of your (and your children's) collecting careers. If you lose interest in collecting, any high school biology or earth science teacher would be happy to have the bones.

Good hunting!

post-42-0-36408600-1317834452_thumb.jpgpost-42-0-37457200-1317834501_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for the tips folks, we will try and take our time out there this weekend and explore more of the walls of the banks instead of just mostly the river bottom. I'll try and snap some pics of our findings and load them on next week.

Thanks for the tips folks, we will try and take our time out there this weekend and explore more of the walls of the banks instead of just mostly the river bottom. I'll try and snap some pics of our findings and load them on next week.

If possible...take a few pictures in the field also which will give

a sense of place. Images of localities are always of interest :wub:

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

I have fantasies about what you are experiencing. Personally, I'd be all over the bison skulls and only the skulls. Elk antlers would be good too. The banks are indeed great, but I find anything that is wet is usually better preserved, whether it was always in the water or "reconstituted" after sloughing off from a dry bank down into water. Mud is good. Anything up high can often be dry and easily disintegrate, requiring special care to remove in tact. I certainly hope you come back here with lots of good photos to drive me crazy!

I would think that bones of any kind that show human interaction would be of interest as well. Butchering marks etc.

BisonLatifrons and I have been talking Bison lately...seems it's a common affliction? Very neat animals and the symbol of the Amarican west. Try and collect every bone you can find and one day you can have a composite skeleton in your living room! Or maybe somewhere else... B)

There are lots of Bison species, so if you need an ID on a skull, just let us know!

Edited by 32fordboy

Good morning folks, I didnt get a chance to take any pictures however will definately do so next weekend (locations and actual bones). I appreciate your advice and now understand how easy it is to get hooked on hunting for these interesting pieces of history.

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning folks, I didnt get a chance to take any pictures however will definately do so next weekend (locations and actual bones). I appreciate your advice and now understand how easy it is to get hooked on hunting for these interesting pieces of history.

Hey Saskquatch (last active 10/11/11): Just looking for an update. Hoping you have some good stories (and pics). Sent PM too.

Edited by BisonLatifrons

Good morning, I appologize for not stepping up and getting the pictures and details of the items the kids and I found. Scrambling to get ready for winter and it totally slipped my mind. I'll try and get some pics of the items in the next week or so.

Saskatchewan winters take getting ready for; pics at your convenience, sir! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Saskatchewan winters take getting ready for; pics at your convenience, sir! :)

I shudder just thinking about it... :coldb: :P :coldb:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 1 year later...

Hi all, been busy as heck and simply forgot to post any pictures of our stuff from 2011. Had another flood scenario this year in Saskatchewan and found our best two skulls today with both horns attached along with 10 or more jaws with teeth (plus another 50 or more individual teeth). We only keep about 1/10 of 1% of what we find due to the size and weight of the bones(we keep all jaws and teeth though) . Going to finish digging out the second skull tomorrow as it is buried straight up and down in the creek bottom with only the tip of one horn sticking out. Found it by luck as I was resting from carrying the heavy 1st skull out and just looked down and saw it. Took pictures of many of the teeth, horns, etc from the past two days and will post as soon as I get home to access my camera download cord, early next week. Thanks to this site, we also kept two examples of hooves now that you have enabled me to identify. Would like to have kept a couple more leg bones but they are two feet long each and too heavy for the kids to haul in their backpacks. I commit to providing pics early next week however might need some coaching on how to.

post-7072-0-34155700-1375756824_thumb.jpgpost-7072-0-19878700-1375756851_thumb.jpgpost-7072-0-27787800-1375756885_thumb.jpgpost-7072-0-21159600-1375756912_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the bones we found this weekend. Was happy to find the two skulls with both horns still attached. We didn't pick up really any of the 100's of leg bones, vertebrae, etc with the exception of the one rib. will post more pics.

post-7072-0-36179000-1375757333_thumb.jpgpost-7072-0-80762600-1375757369_thumb.jpgpost-7072-0-22497900-1375757393_thumb.jpgpost-7072-0-83512800-1375757414_thumb.jpg

Had a overall great time with the kids, found the skulls, horns, probably 14 or so jaws, 50 plus individual teeth scattered all over, and 100's of other assorted ribs, legs, vert, etc.

Quick caution.

I dunno what the rules are on modern animal remains, but you might want to check out the provincial laws regarding vertebrate fossil and native artifact collecting.

If they're anything like Alberta's, you'll need to watch your step.