A Pile Of Pertrified Wood

ismith

I stumbled upon a piece of petrified wood a couple days ago that soon turned into a small pile. Really cool stuff! Cleaned up a few pieces and still have alot to clean up. They are from a Tertiary sediment as far as I know.

010-3.jpg

001-15.jpg

004-10.jpg

005-13.jpg

Hello ismith!

These are pretty cool!

When I first joined the Forum, I didn't really appreciate the petrified wood. :blush:

Pieces like yours have made me change my mind. :)

Thanks for sharing these with us!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Went back today and found even more petrified wood including one piece that is partially petrified. Also found some fossil large herbivore tooth fragments and some various fossil bone fragments. Ill get some pictures of todays finds tomarrow in the day light. From the looks of the fossils and petrified wood it looks like a ancient river deposit.

Ive identified part of a leg bone(a complete astragulas actually) and the teeth as belonging to Merychippus.

Edited by ismith

Very nice finds. Whenever I come across a log or a stump I find it fascinating how 'real' (recently dead) the wood looks. When I found the biggest one I have I powerwashed the swamp muck off of it and set it on my front porch. A friend stopped by that afternoon and immediately spotted it. "Cool driftwood," he spouted as her reached for it. Needless to say, he was a bit surprised when he tried picking it up.

I think my passion for petrified wood stems from my passion for woodworking/cabinet and furniture making.

• New Members

I love petrified wood. I am always excited when I find some. You have some nice pieces there. Thanks for showing them!

I hear tell that if'n you ride on up to the Yellowstone country you can

find a petrified forest full of petrified birds singing petrified songs!