Fossilized Vs. Petrified

Kehbe

I have always been curious about the difference between fossilized wood and petrified wood and have done a little bit of research on the subject and have found this explanation about as simple and easy for the average amature hunter, aka "me", to understand. http://geology.about.com/cs/basics_life/f/faq5petrify.htm I have found a lot of fossil wood over the years and won't bother posting to many pictures unless someone is interested in seeing them. I have found some really unusual pieces. I will however post one I just found a couple weeks ago that I thought was neat! I found this in an eroded hillside just outside of Leavenworth, Ks. sticking halfway out of a yellowish clay like soil. I have no idea what age or deposit it is from and just thought it was a nice piece.

post-7046-0-36324100-1318000087_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-92933700-1318000105_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-52913100-1318000193_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

I wouldn't mind see what you find. Since we don't have that here it is fun to look at what others come in with. Pics are good.