Marble? "alien" Looking Fossil Would Like More Info

amygoose3

Hello and thanks in advance for trying to help us. We found this rock in our backyard in Illinois. The jury is still out, some of us think it looks like an alien head, others just can't see what we are seeing, none the less, it has been a neat conversation piece.

It is on the heavy side (about 1 1/2 lbs) very smooth and black in color with a hint of gray. When you turn the rock in the light you can see subtle sparkles. The "eyes" are rough feeling and about 1/16th deep. They are oval in shape. Both "eyes" measure exactly the same length 1 1/2 inches, but the width differs, the smaller "eye" is 3/4th inch with the bigger one being 1 1/4 inch.

Any info you could help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Amy

324513.jpg

Great picture and good description of a very interesting rock. It's amazing how "imaginative" natural forces can be!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It is amazing how nature makes something into something else! Like I said, it has been a neat conversation piece. My daughter wants to take it to show her 4th grade class when school begins, then who knows what we will do with it. Sit it on a shelf with the meteorite that I have had since it fell from the sky years ago as we were all sitting there.

I still wonder what made those "eyes" they are the same size in length.

Thank you all again, if anyone has anything to add, please do so...Amy

I am glad that it is a Rock, I would be shocked to find out it is truly an alien head and Area 51 are on there way to come and rescue it lol

It is amazing how nature makes something into something else! Like I said, it has been a neat conversation piece. My daughter wants to take it to show her 4th grade class when school begins, then who knows what we will do with it. Sit it on a shelf with the meteorite that I have had since it fell from the sky years ago as we were all sitting there.

I still wonder what made those "eyes" they are the same size in length.

Thank you all again, if anyone has anything to add, please do so...Amy

I am glad that it is a Rock, I would be shocked to find out it is truly an alien head and Area 51 are on there way to come and rescue it lol

I would like to see a picture of the meteorite :D

Guest solius symbiosus

^^As would I. That is another of my hobbies Absolutely amazing that you witnessed it's fall, but I must admit, my skeptic meter just pegged the scale.

It was about 1984? I was about 8 or 9. We were in a little pool in my aunts backyard in Streator Illinois. You are right in a way, I didn't actually see it fall, but my aunt did, but I did hear it THUMP when it hit the ground. It landed on a Tomato plant and crushed it. The pool was right next to the garden. The local newspaper came out and took a picture of it and of the tomato plant, it was big news for about 15 minutes. She took it to someone who said it wasn't a good grade of iron metorite, but iron metorite it is.

The next time I am in my home town, I see if she can dig up the article and scan it.

post-656-1217619415_thumb.jpg

Here is the other side and a bit closer of a view. It measures about 4.5 inches by4 inches and weighs about 1.5 lbs.

post-656-1217619714_thumb.jpg

Thats pretty cool. I have no background with those sort of things but it looks like a metorite to me.

...The next time I am in my home town, I see if she can dig up the article and scan it.

I hope you can, I'd love to see it :) .

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I was hoping it was archived on the newspapers website. It was in "The Times-Press" which combined a few years ago with Ottawa Illinois to make "The Times", bud sadly they only go back to 2000. I am going to send my aunt an email and see if she will scan it and send it to me, I know she still has the article around someplace, even 20 some odd years later.

^I think that I remember of what you write. You should have it cut and etched. It might have a widmanstatten pattern.

I don't know about getting it cut. It would be interesting to find the additional info out, but it would no longer be whole.

I will say having both the alien head and meteor sitting on my comp desk does make for interesting desk pals lol

hmm, let's analyze all this. first, why isn't the meteorite covered in tomato guts? now, on to the illinois alien. it looks kind of like basalt to me. this would mean it might have formed with gas voids in it. then a big chunk broke off, leaving "pockets" exposed on the outside. Then it got tumbled due to hydraulic forces until it got roundish. Then it got buried in a sandy matrix which was eventually cemented by natural chemistry. Then it eventually got hydraulically tumbled again, unless that happened only once after the sandstone filled the pockets.

Then, a spacecraft came down and zapped it with a organic hyperbolic renoberator and it turned into an alien.

P.S. - I'd call him Marvin.