Intro To Paleontology

grokfish

Hey folks,

First off, thank you to everyone for incredible welcome! I already feel like 'part of the gang'! So, something that has been troubling me since I took my first excursion in May is the difference between science and hobby... I am sure there is a discussion about this, if I went through the archives of this forum. Anyway, to tell another longwinded story, at my oldests 6th birthday in July, I got in a discussion with a friends dad. we were discussing our extracurricular activities, which I was fresh from the high of the first trip and explaining it to him. He then discussed his activity...he is a musician, but has a family and a non-musical career. I absently said that his music is a pretty cool 'hobby', to which he kind of choked on his spit and impetuously said that it isn't a hobby because he 'creates' something, as opposed to just collecting. Well, ...it did get me thinking. I love the research, the hunt, the discovery, and the creative endeavor of learning the story of the life of the fossil(how it lived, died, came to be in the spot you found it) but to some extent, given my knowledge and current career, I am merely finding things to adorn my mantle. Which is fine, but I keep wondering how I, as a complete non scientist, can contribute to the science of paleontology?

Are there any good resources that would help me walk that path or good books that are good introductions to the science of paleontology? How do amateurs typically contribute?

Anyway thanks for your time and your thoughts.

Matt

Hey folks,

First off, thank you to everyone for incredible welcome! I already feel like 'part of the gang'! So, something that has been troubling me since I took my first excursion in May is the difference between science and hobby... I am sure there is a discussion about this, if I went through the archives of this forum. Anyway, to tell another longwinded story, at my oldests 6th birthday in July, I got in a discussion with a friends dad. we were discussing our extracurricular activities, which I was fresh from the high of the first trip and explaining it to him. He then discussed his activity...he is a musician, but has a family and a non-musical career. I absently said that his music is a pretty cool 'hobby', to which he kind of choked on his spit and impetuously said that it isn't a hobby because he 'creates' something, as opposed to just collecting. Well, ...it did get me thinking. I love the research, the hunt, the discovery, and the creative endeavor of learning the story of the life of the fossil(how it lived, died, came to be in the spot you found it) but to some extent, given my knowledge and current career, I am merely finding things to adorn my mantle. Which is fine, but I keep wondering how I, as a complete non scientist, can contribute to the science of paleontology?

Are there any good resources that would help me walk that path or good books that are good introductions to the science of paleontology? How do amateurs typically contribute?

Anyway thanks for your time and your thoughts.

Matt

Matt, many others will respond with their unique insight's, and here's mine. I started in this hobby (shark tooth collecting) 15+ years ago and previously knew nothing about it. I first focused on going collecting. I had (and still have) the "fever" of that exciting of going out and never knowing what you're going to find. Plus, I grew up playing outdoors as a kid, so being in a "hobby" that took me outdoors was a plus. Being excited it also fueled my desire to learn, and so I did. In a short period of time I bought a few books, used the internet, and joined a fossil club or two. I'm blessed in that I live in an area where I am very close to many fossil collecting sites. So, for you, first figure out where all the spots are close to your neck of the woods where you can go collecting. Take your kids with you too - it's great spending time with your kids! If the wife is interested too, that's an ever bigger bonus, because then you can collect all the time! As time goes by and you find stuff, post back here on TFF for help with ID's and you'll learn a lot. There's a lot of knowledgeable folks (professional and amateur) with lots of resources and information. See if you can join a fossil club in your area and get connected with other collectors. Visit your local museum(s) and start up a dialogue with the museum folks if you think you found something interesting. Folks here on TFF will be able to guide you in those endeavors as well I'm sure.

Most of all have a fun and safe time. You'll figure out how to contribute and the path will develop as you walk it.

vr,

Daryl.

the cool thing is that even new collectors can find species new to science, which can be donated and in some cases you can get your name on the species. however finding someone willing to describe your new species in your lifetime is harder than finding the new species in the first place.

in the meantime, through independent research, independent and club field trips, you'll eventually develop enough local knowledge to realize when you've found something really rare, and know when to put it in front of your museum and university contacts without "crying wolf".

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'll follow Dan's input by emphasizing the keeping of good notes for every fossil you collect. From a scientific point of view fossils are only valuable when we know exactly where they came from. You don't even have to get too hung up on knowing the geology or identifying the specimen. But if you can tell someone (a scientist) that you found it at this or that location in this or that layer of rock then it will have value.

There are plenty of hobbies in which one can get very creative. I like to describe my interest as an avocation. I don't do it for a living, but I would if I could. Actually I like my career (museum exhibit designer) a whole lot as is, and once in a while I get to mix the two.

If you really want to learn and understand more here is what I suggest: Start with a mix of general earth science/geology and more focused research on your local geology and paleontology.

For the general stuff a great thing would be to get a college-level Earth Science textbook. If there is a university in your area then find the used book store and see what you can find. It doesn't have to be that year's book. It will give you a great overall understanding about geology, tectonics, stratigraphy, paleontology, etc. In addition there are a number of good books for the general reader available in places like B&N or on Amazon.

For the local stuff start with your state's Geological Survey as well as the USGS. You will find geo maps, scientific papers and guidebooks specific to the stuff you are finding. because these are published by government agencies they are almost always inexpensive. I would start with the maps and any guidebooks that look right. They will have bibliographies that lead to more.

Between those two directions you then have a gazillion other directions to go. Some folks go heavy on the biological side, learning everything about a particular group of animals they can. There is an army of trilobite fiends out there. Some folks find the geology more interesting, especially how it tells us about earth history and the paleo-environments that existed in the far past. That is where my personal interest lies. I love to see how many different critters or plants I can pull out of a time period or strata. My goal is to enlarge my "faunal lists" not necessarily collect the most perfect specimens.

Clubs or Paleontological Societies are also a good resource although not everyone finds them rewarding. Obviously some clubs are better than others and you would just have to give it a try. They often run field trips and have lectures on local stuff. I've been members of at least 4 besides my local group and each had a different flavor.

Matt

I started learning practicle science related to my hobby when I got my first field guide. Most of them have basic information you can benefit from knowing as well as lots of pictures for identifing specimens. A search on amazon will turn up many books on fossils, some for amateurs and some textbooks for students but a good start is the National Audobon book on fossils in their North American field guide series. I'ts small, tough, and very informative. Great for carrying along on the hunt.

Bob

Just keep in mind that the science of geology in general, and palaeoentology in particular, would never have arrived at its current position of understanding without the input, enthusiasm, and hard graft done by us 'amateurs'. Some amateurs are a little further along the road of learning than others, and some are 'limited' to a specific field of expertise simply because they are following a hobby. We are all scientists...fact!

These are great suggestions! Does anyone use GPS to log their finds?

Yes! Everyone who has a handheld GPS should always use it to record the exact location of their finds. That way, if you do find something scientifically important, you will be able to share the exact location with researchers (provided you want to, of course; but you should). Just knowing a general location often isn't enough; after a few years, you might forget which hillside it was, and someone else would have a lot of trouble finding the site without you. When you know the exact location of the fossil site, you can figure out the exact stratigraphic level, which is critically important for determining how your fossil relates to similar animals from the area. Detailed site data allows paleontologists to look for anagenesis (gradual evolution over time), which is a hot new research area.

another way we amatuers can contribute to the science of paleontology is to get involved with your local museum. For example the NJ State Museum did a local dig here in South Jersey in June and I was privlaged to volunteer for several days at the dig. I met alot of really great people, learned alot, was allowed to take home most of my finds and found 2 finds the museum deemed rare enough that they kept them. They also do a dig out west (Montana?), that dig costs money to join but I am hoping to go next summer. You can also volunteer at your local museum. To start just check out your museums website and maybe send an inquirey.