sward

DFW, TX

post-6450-0-96842800-1318878802_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-21689800-1318878866_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

It looks like an artistic creation; neither completely pseudo, nor fossil.

What's the story on it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex,

Actually it's the skeleton of a deer that I found during one of my fossil hunting excursions. Since I always pick up any piece of bone that I find while fossil hunting, it was only logical that I pick this up as well. After I got it home, I decided to clean it up and try to display it as a "fossil".

It's been a project I've been working on since early summer. It's been a good anatomy lesson for me and I've had fun messing with it. My wife wasn't too pleased with the odor in the back yard while I had it soaking in a tub of water for a few weeks to remove the hide and sinew, :angry: but now she loves it. Her only request is that I hang it in my office, not her living room.

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Wow... the composition is fantastic as you have really captured the aesthetic of an in-situ fossil skeleton.

Bravo and Congratulations! :goodjob:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

To answer your original question: No it would not be a "pseudofossil" but more of a recreation. I think the term pseudofossil is applied to things that look like a fossil but are in fact not of organic origin. Yours is certainly organic. And I hope you cleaned those bones well because some things, like marrow, take a bit longer to stink than you might like...

Cool! So, what's the 'matrix'?

Andy (redbrick)

"All living things do one of two things. They either grow, or they die. When they stop growing, they immediately start dying. The mind is also a living thing."

I like it, that is a great job. Very showy.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

I would call it more of a diorama of a deer skeleton as it has nothing to do with fossilization. It is very cool but not associated with fossils. Fossils are stone, not bone.

I wouldn’t put the word fossil anywhere near this "dead deer stuck in mud" piece of folk-art. But I didnt say it wasnt cool!

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Hi Sward thats fantastic !! and I think the main thing is the anatomy you learnt whilst doing this

thanks for the heads up by the way I got your message this morning

Im still looking for more bones and would love to find a complete specimen from last Ice age

good look to you also I hope you find something cool soon , great job on the deer though I really love it :DB):) :)

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'