Albino Cyclops Shark

brachiomyback

that is crazy wild

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Its kind of weird?

Haven't read much into the story yet. Have they figured out how it became a cyclops? Makes you wonder about the shark fossil is going to look like. I mean how much shark material presurves that isnt jaws and teeth but with that deformity.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Dr. Felipe Galvan Magana is a true shark expert. We'll have to wait for the technical article. Until then, I'll suspect it's a fake because the eye looks too much like the one on the Cyclops from "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad."

Yes, that's weird.

Shark researchers get excited just to find some teeth of one individual of an extinct genus. That allows them to reconstruct at least part of the dentition and that lets them see how it compares to previous attempts with only isolated teeth. From that they judge how that affects their view of the family tree of that genus.

Only under very special conditions (Cleveland Shale, Solnhofen, etc.) do researchers find skeletons of sharks. Cartilage begins breaking down immediately after death. You need quick burial in an oxygen-poor environment just for a chance at some perservation of the skeleton. To find a fossil of an unborn shark would beat odds more astronomical than finding an adult. If a shark develops so abnormally that only one eye forms and in a different part of the head, then the brain is probably at least as affected (components of the brain are more spread out as opposed to birds or mammals), leading perhaps to a stillbirth or a very short life as noted in the article. If a fossil of an unborn shark were found, the state of preservation (degree of crushing or perhaps even a lack of 3D remains) might prevent a researcher from noticing if there were any soft anatomy pathologies even one as severe as having one eye in the middle of its head.

Its kind of weird?

Haven't read much into the story yet. Have they figured out how it became a cyclops? Makes you wonder about the shark fossil is going to look like. I mean how much shark material presurves that isnt jaws and teeth but with that deformity.

Article says it is a deformed fetus right? So we are not really talking about rare fossil remains. Also says there were other deformaties, so this guy was probably doomed from conception. Apparently cyclopsia happens in other species due to lack of certain vitamins during development.

Now, that's just odd.

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter