Need Id For An Untagged Trilobite (Or Possibly A Replica)

fengw03

As a poor graduate student who has just turned into a trilobite enthusiast, you can only afford bidding on eBay items with very cheap starting prices. On rare cases, you won and end up with a trilobite without any further information. What is more, when it arrives, you can’t even tell whether it is a real one or merely a replica (although your gut tells you it’s more likely to be the latter).

That’s my story with this trilobite. However, after close inspection, I found no obvious evidence to prove it’s a replica (nor to disprove it), so the best case scenario (very unlikely) could be that it is an overly prepared sample that is mostly just internal mold (except the genal spins, maybe). Anyway, I would still like to know its identity if possible. My wild wild guess is that it’s a Modocia laevinucha (That’s why I bid 6 dollars for it). Thanks for looking.

Wei

post-6161-0-37561200-1320368391_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-32463700-1320368400_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-87854800-1320368410_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-09331000-1320368425_thumb.jpg

post-6161-0-86074100-1320368435_thumb.jpg

Overly prepped - You're not kidding! I've made my fair share of regretted bids on ebay.. I'm not sure of the ID, but if it's what you think, I don't know why anyone would go thru the trouble to duplicate that one, unless it was just to practice duplicating things. They either shaved the top off the segments or the mould/cast meduim didn't quite get all the way down in between them. Let's wait for other opinions, the ID should be easy for some...

Modocia laevinucha appears to be the correct ID on this trilobite. Very nice acquisition for $6.00 and a great bug for your collection. Attached is the Robison (1971) paper with description and photos plates. Thanks for posting! :)

post-4301-0-21693700-1320376780_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi Scott, thank you again for IDing. I can't believe that I got it right this time! However, you think the bug is real? I found its surface really smooth and shiny. But it is definitely not made of resin.

Modocia laevinucha appears to be the correct ID on this trilobite. Very nice acquisition for $6.00 and a great bug for your collection. Attached is the Robison (1971) paper with description and photos plates. Thanks for posting! :)

post-4301-0-21693700-1320376780_thumb.jpg

I am still thinking it is a replica. But like you said, who would go through all the trouble to duplicate a common one. Thanks for the comments anyway.

Overly prepped - You're not kidding! I've made my fair share of regretted bids on ebay.. I'm not sure of the ID, but if it's what you think, I don't know why anyone would go thru the trouble to duplicate that one, unless it was just to practice duplicating things. They either shaved the top off the segments or the mould/cast meduim didn't quite get all the way down in between them. Let's wait for other opinions, the ID should be easy for some...

It could be just coated with something (shellac, etc).. Try scraping a bit off the bottom and see what kind of matrix is underneath.

You are right, it seems it is coated with something. Actually, it is not easy to make a scratch. Do you know how to remove the coat without damaging the fossil? Thanks.