Cretaceous Help

Evans

Hey Guys, need some help with a recent cretaceous find from the Central Texas Glen Rose. I thought at first the "bowling pin" shaped objects may have been echinoderm spines of some type (Phyllacanthus tysoni???), but after a closer look I don't think so. They are smaller and without detail as compared to other spines that I have seen.

Possibly some type of plant material???? Definitely not calcite.

Thanks,

Brian

post-526-0-41673700-1320433844_thumb.jpg

post-526-0-27182900-1320433867_thumb.jpg

post-526-0-92905700-1320433882_thumb.jpg

post-526-0-57253800-1320433892_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evans

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Now those are odd, Brian.. I am going to have to look around..

They look there is an attachment at the top on several of them?

Welcome to the forum!

They look to be slightly irregular, and without any surface pattern; could they be crab or shrimp burrow pellets?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think your first intuition is correct echinoderm with the main body a bit squashed.

Thanks for the looks and suggestions. Going back to the idea of echinoderm spines, has anyone seen anything possible related to these type spines (if that is what they are)?

Running out of ideas.....

Brian

Brian Evans

Brian, is there a chance you could get some really good close-ups of the narrow ends of the "spines"? That jumbled area might hold the key to an ID. Is the contrast better when it is a little damp?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey John, I'll do that tonight and get back with guys.

Brian

Brian Evans

I saw this specimen in person and don't think they are spines despite correct general shape. They don't have the surface topography of any sort of spines I've seen. Plus the ones that are slightly cracked and perhaps distorted don't have the fracture pattern of calcite. In fact, I don't recall calcite spines having any sort of shift or distortion in this formation as they tend to be very brittle. They are much smaller than the Phyllacanthus et. al. spines I've seen in the Glen Rose Formation...that is not an acid test as rare species obviously have juveniles too, but worth mentioning when weighing percentages. Also worth mentioning is that when echies die, the spines are often the first thing to disarticulate, yet here we see a pile of spine like shapes with no sign of a any portion of a test. My guess is that we are looking at some sort of ichnofossil. Still very cool...I've never seen anything like these things so they may be more rare than the spines they emulate.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

They look like lithophagous mollusk tubes to me. They often come in clusters. Basically a shipworm (teredo) type of pelecypod that bores into rock or even shell.

They look like lithophagous mollusk tubes to me. They often come in clusters. Basically a shipworm (teredo) type of pelecypod that bores into rock or even shell.

Yes, I can see that as a possibility; wish I'd thought of it (especially since you've reminded me that something similar was posted on the Forum previously).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Found the previous discussion: LINK

Auspex....great memory and thanks for the link from jwcounts. After reading his attached documents from the previous discussion it is almost certainly is a trace fossil from the Gastrochaenolites sp.

Definitely a new one for me.

Thanks all.

Brian

Edited by Evans

Brian Evans

I agree, but I believe they are actually the internal casts of some Lithophagous mollusk. They are the guys responsible for the holes bored in phosphatic nodules or other hardened clasts in reworked lag beds.

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---