3 Teeth I Can't Id

Taffie

Thanks for taking a look. All were found in Chandler Bridge - Oligocene, Summerville, SC

post-6966-0-81371700-1320667801_thumb.jpgThis tooth is 1/2"

post-6966-0-38522100-1320667926_thumb.jpg This one is a smidge over 1/2"

post-6966-0-31596900-1320668010_thumb.jpgThis one is almost 1" I think it's a tiger but it looks different from all the others.

Edited by Taffie

The first tooth is a species of Carcharhinus. The second is a slightly odd looking Galeocerdo aduncus, and the third is a very worn Physogaleus contortus or possibly Galeocerdo aduncus.

Posterior Carcharhinus - difficult to id to species

Tiger with some unusual features, enlarged anterior serrations

G. cuvier probably mixed in from the overlying and sometimes mixed in late Miocene, Pliocene, Pleistocene deposits (I have found horse teeth, Pliocene hastalis teeth and other anomalies mixed in with the Oligocene teeth in the upper few feet of the formation).

Thanks to all for helping to id these teeth, if they vary from what I can find online I struggle to nail down an id. I appreciate the time you all have taken to share your knowledge.

Taffie

Edited by Taffie

Would the second tooth be considered a pathology?

I'm thinking the second tooth might be a symphyseal tooth. A symphyseal tooth is one that occurs in the center of the jaw (the front position of the jaw) and in some tiger sharks will take on characteristics of both right and left side teeth. Some tiger shark symphyseal teeth will have a split main blade where one part angles to the right and the other to the left. In your tooth the serrations on both sides of the tooth are the coarse type normally seen only on the distal side of the tooth.

I'm thinking the second tooth might be a symphyseal tooth. A symphyseal tooth is one that occurs in the center of the jaw (the front position of the jaw) and in some tiger sharks will take on characteristics of both right and left side teeth. Some tiger shark symphyseal teeth will have a split main blade where one part angles to the right and the other to the left. In your tooth the serrations on both sides of the tooth are the coarse type normally seen only on the distal side of the tooth.

Very interesting, there is so much to learn. Thanks Al Dente.