Gmr Or Aurora Spoil Piles?

MakoMeCrazy

Ok so I have to decide whether I want to go to GMR in NC or the lee creek spoil piles by the museum in Aurora. Hitting two in the same day will take to long for me. Please tell me what you would do! Go to GMR or Aurora? I know that I should hit both, but I cant...thanks

It depends on what you want to find, and the conditions you are prepared for. If your ready for cooler weather and getting weat, then GMR, if you want to stay dry, the piles. GMR will have the wider variety of fossils to find, and I dont know how bad the spoil piles have been hit, so probably you best chance at finding something unique or really nice will be at GMR. But then again, if the piles have just been turned, or they havnt been hit much over the summer, then I would still be tempted to try the piles, especially if your looking small. So really, the qeustion comes down to: What do you want to find?

Are you going to be screening? And if so, what size screen are you using?

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Maybe drive to the museum grab some buckets of material to look through at home then spend the day hunting GMR? The trip to Aurora and back to Greenville will probably only be 2 hours or so.

Obsessed1's idea is pretty good. Especially if you like looking for Micros and small teeth. A 5 gallon bucket of pungo can produce 1000's of fossils.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

hmmm...Yea obsessed1 your idea is really good.But from Raleigh to GMR is like 2 hours, and then from GMR to Aurora is another hour, so in total driving time would be around 6 hours! eek. I know that I need to make a trip to the piles, but for a one day trip, I think I might stick with GMR. I will probably go to the mine one more time to keep myself occupied for the winter.

hmmm...Yea obsessed1 your idea is really good.But from Raleigh to GMR is like 2 hours, and then from GMR to Aurora is another hour, so in total driving time would be around 6 hours! eek. I know that I need to make a trip to the piles, but for a one day trip, I think I might stick with GMR. I will probably go to the mine one more time to keep myself occupied for the winter.

Let us know how you make out and what part of the creek you hunted. I think I may make the drive to GMR tomorrow. Anyone else going to GMR?

Let us know how you make out and what part of the creek you hunted. I think I may make the drive to GMR tomorrow. Anyone else going to GMR?

Just got back. Found my second Parotodus. Other than that a modern tiger and several sand tigers. One really cool colored great white but it wasn't perfect.

Just got back. Found my second Parotodus. Other than that a modern tiger and several sand tigers. One really cool colored great white but it wasn't perfect.

Would love to see pics of the Parotodus and the GW if you have time.

May be heading there Tuesday if anyone is interested? Not been much rain lately, but since it's getting colder the creek isn't getting hit as hard. Couple of weeks ago I was standing down in the water in shorts and sandals. Up to my waist in 40 degree weather at 8:00am. But thou must be brave to seek this time of year. I chant 'meg meg meg' in my head to take the edge off. Only gonna get colder from here.

May be heading there Tuesday if anyone is interested? Not been much rain lately, but since it's getting colder the creek isn't getting hit as hard. Couple of weeks ago I was standing down in the water in shorts and sandals. Up to my waist in 40 degree weather at 8:00am. But thou must be brave to seek this time of year. I chant 'meg meg meg' in my head to take the edge off. Only gonna get colder from here.

Swamp,

I don't mind the cold but I'm not that brave. I'll be wearing a t-shirt and shorts but it will be with my waders on until it warms up again. Good luck hunting on Tuesday and be sure to let us know what you find.