This One Is Cool, Marine Fossil

luklaus

Found in Hickory Creek(Ardmore OK) gravel bar post-7336-0-19483500-1321118755_thumb.jpgpost-7336-0-48397400-1321118941_thumb.jpgalongside some cret bones. I'll post the bones later, not enough to identify...but maybe??. This is something members of our club have found before and nobody seemed willing to research, but now I have one lol

It's not the mountain ahead, but the minerals in my shoe...."Siddartha" You'll find me hanging round www.sgams.net Oklahomas Finest

Wild looking! Rudists, maybe?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If they are indeed marine fossil's I'd go with a piece of orthoconic naulitoid or possible sphuncle mold. The second a cephalopod of some sort. Perhaps from the michelinoceroid or endoceroida families.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

from the outside the first one looks just like the second. I found another one in my rock pile and this one got cut...at the time we thought it was a chert concretion but now I kinda wonder....I'll post it directly, but I'm having a water pump issue and it takes precedents

It's not the mountain ahead, but the minerals in my shoe...."Siddartha" You'll find me hanging round www.sgams.net Oklahomas Finest

I really gotta do the pump but I noticed there are some fine details my camera didn't pick up...I've got a macro lens and tripod so I'll post more ...later

post-7336-0-11750000-1321161558_thumb.jpgpost-7336-0-56610000-1321162152_thumb.jpgAll-righty..Fossil one from Hickory Creek

post-7336-0-67424400-1321164734_thumb.jpgpost-7336-0-97859400-1321164807_thumb.jpg Fossil #3 from my rock pile. Origin umknown, most likely from a local rock swap. Local is Oklahoma

All three fossils seem to be the same thing, I'm really getting a hard time about these thangs. They are found in gravel beds usually. My friend also has one and it is very similar. I am just mis-keying like crazy, must be tired...

Is it possible that paleozoic rubble also finds its way into these gravels. Those look like broken bits of a large Nautiloidea at first glance or part of a belemnite septum. Is the substance all recrystalized or do I see bone substance in there too?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The lighting was not right for pics,but...

Is it possible that paleozoic rubble also finds its way into these gravels. Those look like broken bits of a large Nautiloidea at first glance or part of a belemnite septum. Is the substance all recrystalized or do I see bone substance in there too?

It looks to me like chert, but then again it could be. Do you know what those fine cross-hatched lines are that you can see if you look at the holes where it's broken out.

Post number 8 and 9 ..both on left side. If you download you can blow them up a lot

Do you know what those fine cross-hatched lines are that you can see if you look at the holes where it's broken out.

I've seen things like that before under various circumstances, but can't really say what they are. I must say, this has me confounded, but I'm still thinking Nautilus.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

post-7336-0-44719700-1321230773_thumb.jpgpost-7336-0-92442300-1321230931_thumb.jpgI think it's amazing that I've got three of something , nobody has.... Really the photos don't do this specimen justice, they are heavy like a rock and all three have a central spine or ...shall we say, stem. The preserved fossil is "hard" like a 6.5 on mohs scale. Will take a polish real nice. The vugs or cavities are filled with non-crystalline quartz. Things from the Pleistocene aren't agatized...probably not the cretaceous either.

that last photo helps a lot. This one specimen at least is a weathered cephalopod.

Agreed!

Good pics to the rescue.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

6.5? you must have a piece of the tail end of the cephalopod shell. that part is so densely clacified it feels more like metal than stone.

6.5? you must have a piece of the tail end of the cephalopod shell. that part is so densely clacified it feels more like metal than stone.

I'm basing this on the polish that is on specimen 3, and also having polished many different type of agates. I used a scratch test, except it didn't scratch.I'm not sure about "calcified"....wouldn't that be a lot softer, like calcite.

From those good last pics, I think that one may be an actinoceratid nautiloid - they have large siphuncles, expanded between the septa as shown in the photo (thanks, Treatise!).

From the hardeness, sounds like they're silicified - very nice!

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

I googled "actinoceratid nautiloid" and I agree..thanks everybody I really appreciate the effort.

This is a great place to post for sure. I have more mysteryies coming up

Edited by luklaus