Coral Fossils - Caim, Anglesey, Uk.

Marine Bio

Hey Guys,

Had a great day out today collecting and observing at one of my few local fossil bearing rock regions - Caim, Anglesey, Wales, UK. I managed to find some great small samples for taking home as you can see in picture 2. These look very similar to modern Lophelia or Acropora that i have seen at work to me but I am no coral expert. I also saw some much bigger fossils that you can see in picture 3. I left these in situ for others to enjoy as they were larger at around 7cm in diameter. At first it looks like a cross section of a smaller branching coral but obviously much larger. With further searching I found they were not that uncommon with quite a few scattered about, preserved to lesser degrees. Upon checking the books I am more inclined to believe they are heads of solitary rugose corals, though as I said I am no expert and hope someone more experienced can help me out?

The rocks at this location are Carboniferous limestone of Visean age. This formation forms part of the Clwyd limestone group.

Picture 1

post-7075-0-55004800-1321133951_thumb.jpg

Picture 2

post-7075-0-13125600-1321133960_thumb.jpg

Picture 3

post-7075-0-67531000-1321133972_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys :)

Edited by Marine Bio

I'm now inclined to think that the coral in picture 2 is Lithostrotion junceum. Anyone else agree? Still unsure about the larger coral from picture 3.

Very nice colony and photo of collecting site... I cant help with the ID either ...sorry....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

No worries. I'll keep searching for an ID :zzzzscratchchin:. It is a lovely collecting site . . I only got an hour there but the coral is everywhere, must have been a really major reef in its day. Perhaps I'll have to go back and retrieve a specimen of that mystery rugose coral . . .