Unidentified Early Devonian Fossils Is Chert: Bois Blanc Formation

pleecan

What could it be the serrated object bellow the worm like object? Early Devonian.

P1000647.jpg

Edited by pleecan

How big is it? Maybe a cephalopod? Reminds me a little of a modern-day squid. The worm-like thing my guess is a crinoid stem.

4-5 mm... don't think it is a squid... worm thing may be a bryozoan... they both may be bryozoans...

may be the worm thing is a worm... protoscolex :zzzzscratchchin:

Edited by pleecan

:o :o :o !!!

Silurian Canadian Torpedo?

Good one Nando! I just corrected the age of the strata ... more like early Devonian not Late Silurian as first posted so Devonain Canadian Torpedo.

Edited by pleecan

Good one Nando! I just corrected the age of the strata ... more like early Devonian not Late Silurian as first posted so Devonain Canadian Torpedo.

Seriously, they seem to have some kind of flagellate cells shape, but they are too big for this :zzzzscratchchin:

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

My guess would be Cornulites. I've seen examples of Devonian chert with Tentaculites that look very similar to this.

Thanks for your insights Al Dente!

Dr Joe Botting commented " That's an interesting one, and it tells me your picture is upside-down. smiley.gif

You can see that there's a crenulated margin around it, which is clearly a brachiopod shell. It's articulated (both valves intact), and the smooth chalcedony is a void-fill. At the upper right, you can see a partial infill by sediment, which filled maybe a sixth of the void inside the shell. This is what we call a geopetal structure - its distribution is controlled by gravity as it was washed in, and therefore it acts a way-up indicator. Neat, eh? "