Texas Drought (Pics And Video)

surfergirlatx

Hello from Texas. I just wanted to share the most recent pics/videos from our daily dropping lake....

http://www.lcra.org/library/media/public/slideshows/drought/drought_slideshow_oct-2011/index.html

This is the location I do all my fossil hunting.

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/sometimes-island-seen-again-during-texas-drought-1967677.html?cxtype=rss_ece_frontpage

AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas drought has revealed a bit of property that's known because sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't.

So-called Sometimes Island is now part of a peninsula jutting out about three-quarters of a mile into Lake Travis.

The Austin American-Statesman reported Monday that the lake, for the first time since the 1960s, is so low that visitors can walk from Mansfield Dam Park to Sometimes Island. The island's name came about because the land is only exposed during droughts.

The chief park ranger, Dan Chapman, says the peninsula is pretty brushy and unappealing.

The area was part of a farm on which cattle grazed before Mansfield Dam was finished in 1941.

___

Online:

http://www.lcra.org/water/dams/mansfield.html

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/mansfield_dam.asp

___

Information from: Austin American-Statesman, http://www.statesman.com

___

November 14, 2011 08:41 AM EST

Copyright 2011

• I found this Informative 1

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Good fossils,

but Isnt Lake Travis still Corps / BLM / Parks and Rec land better pack the permits.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Yes the drought is bad but the fossil collecting is GREAT!!!! And yes Texas-Tunnel Rat, the lake is currently under the control of Corp of Engineers and most of the land out here is private so with permission from land owners, your able to hunt just about anywhere :)

Wow ! Looks like alot of exploring I would really like to explore some of that area . Cool Veiw

nativelife, yes now that the lake is at its 3rd all time low, its GREAT for hunting and most sites are un-touched :)

Yes the drought is bad but the fossil collecting is GREAT!!!! And yes Texas-Tunnel Rat, the lake is currently under the control of Corp of Engineers and most of the land out here is private so with permission from land owners, your able to hunt just about anywhere :)

you know me, got to be cautious.

Get the bases covered than have at it.

PUBLICATIONS

Author

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

Education

Girl that's insane! All those nice big boat houses just resting on the dirt.

I used to frequent lake Travis in my younger years.Even ventured down the cliff to hippy hollow a time or two.Last time I was there the lake was 50 somthing feet low and there were a few ammonite impressions by the lakes edge on some large boulders.

I've heard that our drought may last more than a few years :(

Girl that's insane! All those nice big boat houses just resting on the dirt.

I used to frequent lake Travis in my younger years.Even ventured down the cliff to hippy hollow a time or two.Last time I was there the lake was 50 somthing feet low and there were a few ammonite impressions by the lakes edge on some large boulders.

I've heard that our drought may last more than a few years :(

CreekCrawler the pics and video are just almost unbelieveable! The vast majority of docks just sitting on land and their metal structures are being twisted and bent... not good. Seems like we are almost down to the original Colorado River the way it was prior to the construction of Mansfield Dam. The fossils that are being exposed are so vast. I wonder what we will uncover as the water continues to fall. I too have heard that this drought could happen for many more years. Makes me wonder how we are going to get power as we get our from hydro electric and with no water, hummmm.......kinda scary!

Kim

you know me, got to be cautious.

Get the bases covered than have at it.

Yes Texas Tunnel Rat, safety first by all means!!!!!

you might make sure everybody with arrest authority in that part of the state got your message. sometimes beating the rap doesn't mean you can beat the ride, and last i knew legal representation wasn't cheap, plus i'm not all that optimistic that telling johnny law "i read on the interwebs that it was ok" is gonna work all that well in every situation.

you might make sure everybody with arrest authority in that part of the state got your message. sometimes beating the rap doesn't mean you can beat the ride, and last i knew legal representation wasn't cheap, plus i'm not all that optimistic that telling johnny law "i read on the interwebs that it was ok" is gonna work all that well in every situation.

very wise Tracer,

PUBLICATIONS

Author

Author

Quotes

Education

Maybe I could come that way and fossil hunt with you sometime . Although I live closer to Waco . I live near Ceader creek Lake and its 10 feet low and I been exploring it every chance I get before the rains fill it back up .

Thunder & rain happening right now as I type. But the ground is so dry that it will take 40 days and 40 nights to get it back up even 10 feet. The video really shows the Glen Rose "stair step" topography well. Even though the majority of what is exposed is the less abundant Upper Glen Rose it would be interesting to get out there on Sometimes Island and see what can be found.

Thunder & rain happening right now as I type. But the ground is so dry that it will take 40 days and 40 nights to get it back up even 10 feet. The video really shows the Glen Rose "stair step" topography well. Even though the majority of what is exposed is the less abundant Upper Glen Rose it would be interesting to get out there on Sometimes Island and see what can be found.

My thoughts exactly Erich! Your welcome to come here and we can take the boat out around and see what we can find? Or the kayaks? I just heard on the news that you can walk all the way out on the islands from Mansfield dam? I believe the video shows the Colorado river the way it was prior to the dam being built. Its wild to see the sediments build up.

Yes Tracer your right. Having a permit or prior authorization is a MUST! I hunt on my own land and my neighbors land and I have their blessing. I have spoke to the LCRA Rangers and they have told me to "be safe" and "have fun". They also said as the lake drops we will start finding indian artifacts also!!! As long as they are on my property, they are mind to do with as I please :) The vast majority of the signs posted on parks here on this lake are more concerned with bacteria levels in the lake and advise people not to get in the water.

Maybe I could come that way and fossil hunt with you sometime . Although I live closer to Waco . I live near Ceader creek Lake and its 10 feet low and I been exploring it every chance I get before the rains fill it back up .

Nativelife, I would LOVE to go on a hunt with you! Your more than welcome to come here to hunt, as its a safe legal site, as I own it! Just send me a private message when ever you are ready and I can send you my address or we can even meet at some other location for a hunt. I have boats and kayaks so we can get around the lake and see what all we can uncover!!! I am very excited!!!

Kim

Saw this on my comcast.net home page today about Lake Travis:

http://xfinity.comca...ast/2167650589/

Daryl.

WOW Thanks Daryl for posting that video! I live in Lakeway and that last house they show coming out of water is very close to me. Crazy to see the lake so low...but hte hunting is amazing!!!!