Few Pics From My Rag Tag Collection

Mitchu

Here are a few pics of some of the nice pieces of my collection. All were found in the Carolina's. Put up a description on what I could haha. Hope you enjoy!

SUPER RARE Carolina Amber, stuff is hard to find! Anyone else out there in fossil land

found any in the Carolina's? Only ask because I've heard of one other finding it and I would

really like to see pics if you got some!

6351881572_7705bb3b05.jpg

Next few are some ech's from NC, not sure of the first two but last is Harduinia Mortonis (cretaceous)

6351881028_14b4eeb3f1.jpg

6351880854_cd88dd5088.jpg

6351875338_0edb9851af.jpg

OK lets see.....ah yes my PRIZE POSSESSION! Its not pretty at all but to me its the most beautiful

thing (outside my wife if shes reading this haha) ever!

6351878074_7f58b60ee8.jpg

Really pretty Horse Tooth!

6351874740_498e6f8039.jpg

Not a fossil but I just thought it was really cool, check out the scratching! Couldn't

help but bring this piece of Indian Pottery home with me!

6351136255_6f8f171fa1.jpg

One last thing before the TEETH! Not even sure how my eye caught this because everything

are either these two colors.....grey and white. But man what a pretty little crab, great day of hunting!

6351880070_085ddd01e9.jpg

Here are some of the better teeth and I've found in the Carolina's. The last pic measures

just under (1/8 under!!!!!!!!!!!!) 3". Also be sure to check out the GW still in matrix, its pretty

ugly but still a really cool piece.

6351879852_cd6e1217e1.jpg

6351879350_65733599d0.jpg

6351132913_10535bd557.jpg

6351132355_d176b3bcb4.jpg

6351132035_1ff4e02e54.jpg

6351878754_66b71c4c32.jpg

6351875912_515e69a5e6.jpg

Well hope everyone enjoyed the pics, got a bunch more stuff but these are some of my best finds. Hopefully there is plenty more to come!

-Mitch

Niiiiice! The echinoids are so well preserved, the matrix GW is nifty, and the (darn near) 3" GW is sweet :wub:

How'd you find the amber?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the compliments! I actually found the amber coming home from one of my old jobs one day. Happened by a boat marina that used to be SUPER rich is fossils, but they got rid of all the spoil they dug to create the marina and everything that went with it. Well I knew that and when I happened by on my way home and noticed that they were redoing the drainage. Saw several rather small piles of the gravel hanging out on the edge of the Marina and decided to take a peek. Searched around for a little bit and walked away with this! I didn't get to hunt it long because the sun was going down and by the time I took my lunch the next day the piles were gone :angry: it just happened to being laying on the side of one of the piles and the odd color stood out against the surrounding rock. One lucky find!

you have a nice collection and it's super special because you collected it all in the carolinas. and if the 1/8" thing bugs you on the fantastic tooth (which it shouldn't), i have a tooth stretcher and will make the thing 3.01" for you if you'll send it to me. just put it in the cupholder tray that comes out of your computer and once it's loaded, hit <ctrl> +s and then type "tracer's now" and hit <save>.

Your "Rag Tag" collection is actually very nice but I think you probably already knew that. Anyway, the Forum actually has at least one member who specializes his collection on North Carolina and he has recently made a few postings with some of his amazing finds. He is very friendly and I would consider him highly knowledgeable concerning amber from our area. I will look up his recent postings. Havent figured out the trick to attaching links yet (even though I have had lots of help) so I will list his posting titles and you can put it in the search menue and it will find it for you. Send him a message. I'm sure he would be glad to give you more info.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Hello Mitch,

Check this post out. For Halloween: Creepy Creatures In Amber Just cut and paste it or type it into the search bar. The gentelmans Forum name is LoneRanger.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

haha Thanks for the tooth stretcher assistance but how could I change something that beautiful? Just gonna have to wait it out for that day I find the big 3" tooth! Also thanks for the heads up Sharkbyte, definitely going to drop in on that thread. I really dont have an idea about the stuff, but I would love to find out more about it.

Very cool collection, thanks for sharing. You have the pride of knowing where and when YOU found them, again very nice collection with great detail. :thumbsu:

Troy Nelson

Hey Mitchu,

I found a piece of amber here in Charleston just a few months ago! I don't have any pictures off-hand, but you can find the post in my content titled " amber revisited". My peice is approximately 200 grams and redish in color.

Nice collection!

Happy Hunting!

CBK

Every piece of dirt has a story as a buddy of mine use to say. Get out of here CBK! Tha'ts freaking sweet! Mines a little old tiny thing as you can see but its just too cool! Mine has that same reddish color, real nice color. Deep and pure, gets me excited to find some more! Quick question, if yours super fragile too? The two pieces in my hand were once just one piece, but something broke it before I picked it up even still its pretty brittle. Thanks for the compliments again everyone!

Mitchu, very nice NC teeth, great finds. Most of the teeth, well almost all, are NC teeth. I also have some amber from NC. Mine is from Lee Creek. It is not common, but it is found on occasion. My pieces are small but very cool.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Compare your first two echinoids to Arbacia waccamaw (Cooke). They are really nice.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey Mitch,

It's Gerald here. I was in the creek with you when you found that monster mosasaur tooth. I remember the big great white, too. Hope to be able to dig with you again someday and glad to have you here on the forum. :)

-greel

Gerald! It's been a while man! How have you been? Been out hunting with Brian lately? Havent seen him in a while too. Was a great day for hunting! Hopefully we can get up and do some hunting. Im wanting to get back into the Martin Mariatta quarries here really soon, ill drop you a PM, hopefully you can join me, maybe get a few people from the club back together and tear those hills up!

The last time I saw Brian was at GMR this past summer. I foolishly used all my vacation time at work for the year, so I haven't been able to get to the Eocene quarries like I want.

The good news is that there is only another couple weeks until the new year, when I get more time off. I'd love to get a fossil possee together with you and the fellas to hit those quarries some more. Glad you are back and doing well. Congrats on the marriage, too! Have you caught up with Dewayne recently? I was so disappointed I couldn't hit Rocky Point with him this Fall. Saw David Sanderson and Ann Lineberry at Giant Cement in SC last weekend. Also saw Debra Young, who you probably remember as Debra Burdette.

All seem well and in good hunting spirits.

-gerald

Hey CBK, that is rediculous! I've got another fossil I picked up out of the same pile I picked my amber up in but not sure what to make of it. Its super light just like the piece I had just found but pitch black. I'll get a pic up of it, its the same texture and everything as the other I found just black. Like I said I didnt know what to make of it so i threw it in the car. I'll have to get a pic up of it. Anywho........

Gerald, you mean to tell me you were 20 minutes from the house and no call! Shame shame shame......... Did you guys have any luck? I got permission to hunt a quarry down here but the terms were "give me a call and i'll come down and fish while you hunt, actually if no body is here don't worry about it just come in, if they ask you to leave then just leave" haha so I went several times with no problems just a heck of a walk. but so much stuff, always love going in there but I haven't been there in a while. I'm going to try and make Rocky Point some time next month but will definitely be make more trips the first of the year while I'm still in the states of course. But i remember all those folks, been a while since I've seen em. i dropped Dewayne an email some time ago, tried to meet up with him but didn't work out and haven't heard from him since.