Paleo Video: Snail Shell Mystery

snikt.biff

Thanks for this post. That video is facinating. It has given me a whole new perspective on predation by snails. I made a quick run out to the barn to look at some of my Eocene snails to see if they had similar lip damage and sure enough I couls see it in several specimen. Before, I had thought the damage on the lip of the snail was caused by wave erosion or predation on the snail. Now I know it was probably neither.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

This is really, really good work! Comparative paleontology at its best.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Absolutely fascinatingly cool! I've collected shells most of my life and always wondered about those healed scars.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I loved it.. I will look at snails in a new way.. I had no idea that

their mouth extension looked like that either.. Amazing video

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for this post. That video is facinating. It has given me a whole new perspective on predation by snails. I made a quick run out to the barn to look at some of my Eocene snails to see if they had similar lip damage and sure enough I couls see it in several specimen. Before, I had thought the damage on the lip of the snail was caused by wave erosion or predation on the snail. Now I know it was probably neither.

Jim

No problem! The moment I saw this I was like... omg who can I share this with? I showed my brothers, my parents, my friends, everyone. I noticed this on my shells, too, I had run to get them before the video was over!! Snail predators! AWESOME!

Absolutely fascinatingly cool! I've collected shells most of my life and always wondered about those healed scars.

I know right! I always knew their little suction was so strong... now I know exactly why.

Thanks for posting this outstanding video :wub:

You're welcome! I was so amazed!

I loved it.. I will look at snails in a new way.. I had no idea that

their mouth extension looked like that either.. Amazing video

I did actually know about their little mouth extention from some documentary or other. Probably the slowest predator on Earth!

SANY0022.JPG

SANY0014.JPG