Part Of Trilobite From Oslo Region

Sondre Danielsen

Does anyone know how to best remove the shale parts that cover the trilobite (se image from aquarium). Are there any techniques, that maybe involves chemicals, that is especially gentle to reveal the trilobite?

This is the same trilobite, one image from the stone before picking it out, and afterwards submerged into my aquarium. If you think the trilobite is looking big, bear in mind that the fish is just fry, 1 cm long. The trilobite part is about 4 cm.

post-5730-0-63351300-1321883639_thumb.jpg

post-5730-0-71910600-1321883642_thumb.jpg

Hello Sondre! :)

You could try to use white vinegar, to see if the rock reacts with it ( starts to fizz or foam).

If there is a reaction you could try to submerge the whole rock in the vinegar - (which is a mild acid) for short periods to try to loosen the matrix around the fossil.

The problem with acids is that they can also etch or destroy the fossil, if you are not careful.

Make sure to remove excess vinegar with water by rinsing thoroughly.

The matrix may loosen just by being in water. You could try that. Just leave it in water, and check every day to see if the matrix is getting any softer.Some shales do get softer when wet.

I would try these methods, and try to remove the matrix by scraping or chipping it away once it is softened.

EDIT: Dental picks or ice picks can be ideal for this. I have used hobby knives as well, if the shale was really soft.

Please let us know what works for you! ;)

Best regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Forgot to say - Very nice find! :D

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice find Sondre, it looks good in your tank. By the way, are those African Cichlids? I currently have some electric lemon yellows, cichlids are great fish to keep.

One Norski to another...the family farm is still just outside Oslo, where my grandmother grew up, Tvead (sp?) family farm.

Troy Nelson

Nice find Sondre, it looks good in your tank. By the way, are those African Cichlids? I currently have some electric lemon yellows, cichlids are great fish to keep.

One Norski to another...the family farm is still just outside Oslo, where my grandmother grew up, Tvead (sp?) family farm.

Thanks, yes it is african cichlids, fry of Melanochromis Auratus. And I agree the fossils look great there, and so far the heavy metals in the alun shale hasn´t killed them :-)

So you are norwegian too! Wow! I haven´t heard about the farm though. It is a lot of norwegians in the US, I have some family in Minnesota :-)

Regards

Sondre

Hello Sondre! :)

You could try to use white vinegar, to see if the rock reacts with it ( starts to fizz or foam).

If there is a reaction you could try to submerge the whole rock in the vinegar - (which is a mild acid) for short periods to try to loosen the matrix around the fossil.

The problem with acids is that they can also etch or destroy the fossil, if you are not careful.

Make sure to remove excess vinegar with water by rinsing thoroughly.

The matrix may loosen just by being in water. You could try that. Just leave it in water, and check every day to see if the matrix is getting any softer.Some shales do get softer when wet.

I would try these methods, and try to remove the matrix by scraping or chipping it away once it is softened.

EDIT: Dental picks or ice picks can be ideal for this. I have used hobby knives as well, if the shale was really soft.

Please let us know what works for you! ;)

Best regards,

Thanks Tim, I will try this and come back with report, and hopefully a successful before-after image :-)

Regards

Sondre

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have to fine tune my acids :-) Maybe I had it in too long, but I do it better next time.

This image is afterwards.

post-5730-0-75323600-1322689040_thumb.jpg