Sometimes Its The Little Things........

Texas-Tunnel Rat

In the science of paleontology it is sometimes the promotion and awareness of the science the can incite growth in the industry. A wise mentor of mine and various organizations instilled the idea that without public awareness and willingness to pass on knowledge to the next generation this science would not be as successful as it is today. This is one of the major core values needed to be a successful amateur (and eventual Professional) scientist. With this value I have assembled a cabinet displaying information on Texas geology, Geologic Representation, and some specimens to show a diversified assemblage of Texas fossils.

With information like this students can gain some of the basic knowledge that is not covered in depth with most geology classes that are offered. With this easy to access information students can better prepare themselves and gain a understanding of Earth’s past. This may inspire the next generation of undergraduates that want to pursue a career in the field. Without an appreciation and education of the past we can understand the future and this promotion of the field can mean more than fossils collected. Sometimes it’s a good old fashioned grass roots movement not a big fancy museum.

So it is the little things that move the sediments...........

So what do you think?

Credits

All credit for art goes to the respective artists that made it

USGS for making geologic maps

post-6510-0-86454700-1322626789_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-09029400-1322626795_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-51692400-1322626800_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-48459400-1322626806_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-99514500-1322626810_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-59325900-1322626815_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-61529400-1322626820_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-53136800-1322626825_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-77238000-1322626830_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-82947900-1322626835_thumb.jpg

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Nathan, I think the concept is great. How many have you set up? :)

One question about a "little thing". In fairness to the youth of Texas and my own education, how does one identify a coprolite to the genus of Mosasaurus, short of finding it associated with skeletal remains? Just curious.... ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nathan, I think the concept is great. How many have you set up? :)

One question about a "little thing". In fairness to the youth of Texas and my own education, how does one identify a coprolite to the genus of Mosasaurus, short of finding it associated with skeletal remains? Just curious.... ;)

So far, one.

Had it checked as reptilia "Lower intestinal matter" aka Corprolite seeing its condition and size. And enough of it can be attributed, theres actually some not pictured but there is shell material within it. It was also in Mosasaur country where it was.

PUBLICATIONS

Author

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

Education

Very nice! This is an excellent set up! I think it is a fantastic idea and a great tool. I am trying to get my grandkids interested in geology and things paleo! Fortunatly they all show a lot of interest! Problem is, they have questions I can't always answer :( but then, we spend quality time researching things together and we learn methods and techniques of finding the answers! Win, win all the way around! I would like to set up something like this for our finds! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

great idea, Ive tried to do my part in getting kids excited about paleontology by inviting them on hunts, showing them my finds and even just explaining what the area they live in was like 65 million years ago, I also always carry a small bunch of fossils to give away whenever the opportunity arises. Where is your display located?

Very nice! This is an excellent set up! I think it is a fantastic idea and a great tool. I am trying to get my grandkids interested in geology and things paleo! Fortunatly they all show a lot of interest! Problem is, they have questions I can't always answer :( but then, we spend quality time researching things together and we learn methods and techniques of finding the answers! Win, win all the way around! I would like to set up something like this for our finds! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Kehbe. Getting family members interested at geology and even science at a young age goes a long way. I was one of those early inductees joining the ranks of science. Not becuse of the mentality "Dinosaurus are cool" but figuring out stuff like nature and Hutton's uniformatarism was before I knew who and what things are. Its eductation, education that can sometimes make things concrete rather than having break throughs 100% of the time.

great idea, Ive tried to do my part in getting kids excited about paleontology by inviting them on hunts, showing them my finds and even just explaining what the area they live in was like 65 million years ago, I also always carry a small bunch of fossils to give away whenever the opportunity arises. Where is your display located?

That is one of the better steps on showing the populace how to get started in this. Once of the reasons why field trips should be recommend in any form of education. One of the reasons why I like the display manly due to some of the areas and sometimes the "freebies' just get misplaced or put down at a bottom of a drawer along with the lession.

The display is located at Collin Community College in McKinney Texas.

PUBLICATIONS

Author

Author

Quotes

Education

This is just great to hear!!! Wonderful! Is that you standing next to the display in the last picture..you look grumpy :)

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

This is just great to hear!!! Wonderful! Is that you standing next to the display in the last picture..you look grumpy :)

Im photogeneic........after about 4th cup of coffee.

yeah thats me.

PUBLICATIONS

Author

Author

Quotes

Education

That's Nathan's serious scientist face, I've seen him all worked up over a cool fossil. Still grumpy but with a coprolite eatin' grin :)

Im photogeneic........after about 4th cup of coffee.

yeah thats me.

:rofl:

That's Nathan's serious scientist face, I've seen him all worked up over a cool fossil. Still grumpy but with a coprolite eatin' grin :)

:rofl:

Thanks for the explination

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Well done. I like the little white trays. Where did you find those?

Back Room,

turns out we had a surplus of them and did not know it. But I think if you go to Wards Science Store you can buy them and just make the labels.

PUBLICATIONS

Author

Author

Quotes

Education

How do you manage to defy gravity so well in that last pic? :P I think that is a great idea, and very well executed. The more people that understand fossils, the more will care about them.

I think you did a very nice job on the display, Texas-Tunnel Rat..

You have also found some good fossils.. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Hi TTR, I have to agree about everything, we get more out of the hobby/science when we can show off our finds and recruit new devotees, which is just as important as getting some of the experts to pay attention to our finds. I get normally one opportunity a year to show off my fossils and try to educate people during our Fossil Fair in Victoria each March.. Displaying fossils is an art in itself, trying to get the kids and newbie adults to look at the detail on that little echinoid or leaf, getting it labeled and lit just the right way, etc. Fun

Anyway you might want to proofread some of your text above: "Without an appreciation and education of the past we can understand the future and this promotion of the field can mean more than fossils collected." ;)

One suggestion : Keep it hands on as much as possible. As you can see I'm an aged kid, but when I visited a museum that to my amazement had a 5" meg that you could pick up and handle it was so much more powerful than just seeing them.

... but with a coprolite eatin' grin :)

I almost fell out of my chair laughing. The guys here at work are probably wondering about me right now. I am so gonna use this one!!!

One suggestion : Keep it hands on as much as possible. As you can see I'm an aged kid, but when I visited a museum that to my amazement had a 5" meg that you could pick up and handle it was so much more powerful than just seeing them.

As a 6th grade science teacher I totally agree. I passed around a broken 4" meg (worth maybe 5 bucks), but to the kids it was a priceless museum piece. I plan to let them sort some micro-fossils when we get to geology in the spring.