Phosphatic Concretions Of The Pennsylvanian Muncie Creek Shale

Missourian

1. It's hard to say how many. We've gone through so many over the years. I'd say roughly a thousand concretions to find a Lawrenciella (though Roz may have had better luck in Texas). Even more are needed to find a complete shrimp.

2. We've always used a hammer. It starts with taps, then whacks, then smash. We hadn't tried freeze-thaw (actually, we hadn't thought of it, and early on, I'm not sure what my parents would have thought of a couple hundred nodules in the freezer. :) ). Hammering is rough, but I'm not sure how freeze-thaw would work on complexly structured fossils like Lawrenciella and ammonoids. I'm afraid they would fall to pieces. Still, it may be worthwhile to prep certain pieces like specimen #4 above by freeze-thawing away some of the nodule matrix.

3. There are most likely no Euproops or any other freshwater types. The preserved fossils in the Muncie seem to be pelagic animals that lived closer to the surface of the open sea and then sank to the anoxic bottom after death.

Thanks Missourian for taking the time to explain some of the process! I should probably go read something about the mid-continental Penn basin and what was going on geologically back then--appreciate the Muncie faunal insights! Regards, Chris

So how do you tell bony fish from cartilaginous fish? It's fairly easy, but I didn't clue in until recently.

Bony fish elements in these concretions usually have the smooth to spongy texture like any bone that we'd see in everyday life (eg. steak bones left on the plate at Ponderosa). Examples:

5456-Muncie-bone-2.jpg

7769-Muncie-Lawrenciella-5-close.jpg

Cartilaginous fish elements, on the other hand, typically have a fine cellular, almost honeycomb-like texture. Example:

7710-Muncie-mandible.jpg

7631-Muncie-fin-1-close.jpg

This is just the first step in identifying a bewildering assortment of scattered skeletal elements....

Context is critical.

I did not know that.. I now have a notebook just for fossil fish/sharks information and that is one page 1.

I have to start somewhere.. :) I am glad you posted that!

Welcome to the forum!

Speaking of cartilaginous fish, here is a piece that resembles Lawrenciella at first glance:

7863-Muncie-shark-element-1.jpg

Again, the honeycomb structure indicates that this is a piece of a shark:

7871-Muncie-shark-element-2.jpg

Context is critical.

Through the microscope:

7883-Muncie-shark-element-4.jpg

7877-Muncie-shark-element-3.jpg

I don't know where this piece fits into the shark skeleton, but it does appear to be bilateral. Skull, perhaps?

Context is critical.

I love those halves! I think it looks like something found in the skull but have no idea

of exactly what! I will be interested in what others think..

Welcome to the forum!

Hi,

Missourian, are you sure it is selachian ? I understand you mean it is selacian skin (had I well understand ?).

Shark and ray skin is covered with small very hard "scales", consisted of the same material as their teeth (dentin). These small scales seem relief. On your pics, I see "holes", and not relief.

Would it be the imprint of the small scales ?

Here are pics of recent shark skins :

Centrophorus squamosus

centro10.jpg

Centroscymnus coelolepis

centro11.jpg

Galeorhinus galeus

galeor10.jpg

Mustelus asterias

mustel10.jpg

mustel11.jpg

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 7/1/2013 at 3:58 AM, Coco said:

Hi,

Missourian, are you sure it is selachian ? I understand you mean it is selacian skin (had I well understand ?).

Shark and ray skin is covered with small very hard "scales", consisted of the same material as their teeth (dentin). These small scales seem relief. On your pics, I see "holes", and not relief.

Would it be the imprint of the small scales ?

Here are pics of recent shark skins :

Selachian.... I haven't even heard of that before, so I'm not sure. :)

If by 'selachian', you mean 'shark skin', then yes. I figure it's shark because of the cellular structure of the fin 'bones' below the covering, as well as the scales. I figure these are scales (dermal denticles) because of their regular pattern and the fact that they are preserved at all. The lighting is from above, if that helps in interpreting the photos. To my eyes, they appear to be little barbs that are nearly parallel to the surface. They could merely be the imprint of scales, especially considering they aren't differentiated like those in the photos you provided, but I would think some actual scales would still be in place.

Context is critical.

Sharks, rays, skates and ratfishes are selachians, they are cartilaginous fishes.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 7/1/2013 at 2:53 PM, Coco said:

Sharks, rays, skates and ratfishes are selachians, they are cartilaginous fishes.

Coco

Ok.

Regarding cartilaginous versus bony, I was going primarily by the structure of the skeletal elements. For convenience, here are some in a (somewhat blurry) cropped portion of the image posted above:

7592-Muncie-shark-fin-micro-section.jpg

Context is critical.

'Baby back rib' :) :

8042-Muncie-rib-1.jpg

The 'bone' broke completely free from the concretion:

8044-Muncie-rib-2.jpg

It is massive like the 'chicken bones' that occasionally show up in the concretions (see http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/25758-phosphatic-concretions-of-the-pennsylvanian-muncie-creek-shale/?p=412571 ), but they are not related:

8049-Muncie-rib-3.jpg

Instead, this is a skeletal element of a shark. Under the microscope, the cellular structure of cartilage can be seen:

8060-Muncie-rib-4.jpg

Context is critical.

Colorful fish scales....

8084-Muncie-colorful-scales-1.jpg

8070-Muncie-colorful-scales-2.jpg

8077-Muncie-colorful-scales-3.jpg

Context is critical.

Nice fossils! I especially like the fish mandible. Thanks for sharing!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

On 7/3/2013 at 11:50 PM, crinoid1 said:

Nice fossils! I especially like the fish mandible. Thanks for sharing!

Gabe

Thanks. Since a number of people like the mandible, here is another:

8135-Muncie-mandible-scale.jpg

Under the scope. This is a combination of two images:

8095-Muncie-whole-mandible.jpg

Context is critical.

Teeth:

8120-Muncie-mandible-teeth.jpg

Surface detail. The pores may be vascular canals:

8108-Muncie-mandible-pores.jpg

Bone structure:

8122-Muncie-mandible-spongy.jpg

Context is critical.

Many Muncie Creek concretion contain regurgitation and coprolites of fish. Besides revealing much of their diet, they conveniently 'bundle' together the remains of various species that can be readily studied. In some cases, this may be their only preservation.

Regurgitation (left) and coprolite:

8254-Muncie-regurg-coprolite.jpg

At least a couple distinctive types of scales can be spotted in the throw-up:

8240-Muncie-regurg.jpg

The material in coprolites has been through more (no pun intended :) ):

8231-Muncie-coprolite.jpg

It's hard to make out anything for certain. The chip-like things are probably the remains of scales.

Context is critical.

Many Muncie Creek concretion contain regurgitation and coprolites of fish. Besides revealing much of their diet, they conveniently 'bundle' together the remains of various species that can be readily studied. In some cases, this may be their only preservation.

Regurgitation (left) and coprolite:

attachicon.gif8254-Muncie-regurg-coprolite.jpg

At least a couple distinctive types of scales can be spotted in the throw-up:

attachicon.gif8240-Muncie-regurg.jpg

The material in coprolites has been through more (no pun intended :) ):

attachicon.gif8231-Muncie-coprolite.jpg

It's hard to make out anything for certain. The chip-like things are probably the remains of scales.

Well, Missourian, I am fascinated, particularly of the scales. My initial thoughts however brought back lots of fond memories of having young kids and having a dog and cat in the house and all of those unexpected gifts they provided us! Just kidding!

Keep those nodules coming! Wish I could bust a few open myself. Regards, Chris

Name the left one "Ralph". :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

On 7/5/2013 at 11:57 AM, Plantguy said:

Well, Missourian, I am fascinated, particularly of the scales. My initial thoughts however brought back lots of fond memories of having young kids and having a dog and cat in the house and all of those unexpected gifts they provided us! Just kidding!

No hairballs or carpet yarn in any of these concretions. :)

Context is critical.

Those scales are awesome, and the shark bone is unreal. Amazing stuff, and the preservation looks astounding.

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Through the microscope:

attachicon.gif7883-Muncie-shark-element-4.jpg

attachicon.gif7877-Muncie-shark-element-3.jpg

I don't know where this piece fits into the shark skeleton, but it does appear to be bilateral. Skull, perhaps?

I think you may be right on skull.. I have looked numerous times and I can't think of anything else

that it could be with that shape.. Very cool!

Welcome to the forum!

More fish regurgitation (reposted from my 'Adventures in Microscopy' thread)....

This one contains a jumble of fish bones, scales, plates, spines, and whatever else:

2355-Muncie-1-coprolite-hand-scale.jpg

The detail is exquisite:

2332-Muncie-2-coprolite-jumble.jpg

A close-up of a complex skeletal element of some kind:

2324-Muncie-3-coprolite-detail-cells.jpg

Context is critical.

More....

A jumbled mess:

2347-Muncie-4-coprolite-plate-pile.jpg

Stack of 'plates':

2368-Muncie-5-Coprolite-plate-stacks.jpg

Close-up of some intriguing details:

2372-Muncie-6-coprolite-plate-detail.jpg

Context is critical.

More....

A jumbled mess:

attachicon.gif2347-Muncie-4-coprolite-plate-pile.jpg

Stack of 'plates':

attachicon.gif2368-Muncie-5-Coprolite-plate-stacks.jpg

Close-up of some intriguing details:

attachicon.gif2372-Muncie-6-coprolite-plate-detail.jpg

Very nice plates! I love looking at these.. I have found a few so far.. That first one you posted is very large.

I am really curious about those white structures that are almost shaped like double sided jaws with teeth. I wonder

where on the fish they were! I haven't seen that before.. Hmmm :popcorn:

Welcome to the forum!

On 7/10/2013 at 5:49 PM, Roz said:

I am really curious about those white structures that are almost shaped like double sided jaws with teeth. I wonder

where on the fish they were! I haven't seen that before.. Hmmm :popcorn:

The only thing I can think of is that they were some kind of reinforcing structures in the plates.

Context is critical.