Oregon Mystery Fossil Leaf Repair

piranha

Here is an unusual leaf fossil that I just finished prepping and repairing. A friend gave me a piece of matrix with a few leaf remnants and I was able to extract this large leaf after the matrix had shattered into many pieces. This was one of the few occasions where I had to reach a little deeper for the prep technique of surface cracks filled with an amalgam of matrix powder and glue. I'm quite pleased with the result as this vibrant specimen was definitely worth rescuing from oblivion. Now the difficult task of an ID is presenting obstacles as my friend does not recall the formation it was collected from. It could be Eocene-Oligocene-Miocene and the features of margin and venation are pulling me in different directions. Tentatively it reminds me most of Ostrya oregoniana but just as easily it might be something closer to another Betula or Ulmus species.

post-4301-0-71112100-1323642453_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-37609600-1323642469_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Nice salvage job, unfortunately I know nothing about plants and have only ever found a few calamites at Joggins Nova Scotia. Don't find leaves up here in Southern Ontario

Good job, Scott.. Don't you hate it when people don't give you the loc. data?? (I know how easy it is to forget - I've found things back in the day and forgotten where, now kicking myself) Your scanned figure certainly looks a lot like the Betula I have from McAbee, but I can see why you're having trouble with your leaf's ID! Good luck.

Impressive result, Scott, on an obviously very difficult specimen :rolleyes:

The wonderful leaf was worth your efforts B)

Good luck with the id :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Malcolm, Eric, Steve, Astrinos.. Thanks!

I agree and glad to save it from the scrap-heap! :D

Hopefully an ID is forthcoming shortly....

Mystery solved... here is the ID: ;)

This looks like Acer ashwilli, and the matrix looks like Fossil school (Oligocene, John Day Formation).

Veins are not nearly parallel enough for Betulaceae.

post-4301-0-07327300-1323727336_thumb.jpg

RE: Systematics, Phylogeny, and Distribution of Acer (maples) in the Cenozoic of Western North America

Journal of the Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University. Series 4, Geology and mineralogy 22(1), 1-246, 1987-02

Jack A. Wolfe and Toshimasa Tanai

Hi Scott,

Wheeler high school, is what I was thinking. But Acer ;) , I didn't see that......... But in hind sight, I can see it now. :P

Bob