New Cabinets

erose

For Christmas I made my own special gifts (no one else here would). New shelves for books and fossils, new cabinets for the plastic bins and the best piece, a new cabinet with drawers for specimens. The space is also my design studio and is a challenge in being an octagonal room. But it is so incredibly great to be out of the garage!

post-1875-0-08258200-1324586666_thumb.jpgpost-1875-0-62893600-1324586684_thumb.jpg

Hope everyone else has a great Christmas, New Year, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, or all of the above.

ERose

Happy Holidays to you too! Great cabinet, and those cabinet bins look like a great useful solution also

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

How wonderful!! You have given me many, many great ideas!!!

Thanks for sharing!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

I design & build so much stuff for museums that it's a real treat when I can find the time to do something for myself. I do this for a living, so if any of you Central Texas folk want something special built, I'm available. I know...shameless self promotion! Moderators be kind....

Wow Erich!! :drool:

Wonderful job!! Beautiful Cabinets! :wub:

You could probably quit your day job and make these for a living to sell to collectors!! :D

I especially like the display shelves on the side of the cabinet!

Nice touch!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks very nice and tidy.. good quality cabinetry too! My dad and I have made me a few cabinets but I think yours look more professional. Oh well, they only have to function. If you were cheap and closer to me I'd have you make a few. I've currently got a friend set to work making a couple cabinets too but havent seen the result yet. I'll post pics like yours when I get them. There will be a big improvement to this place when that happens, I know what it feels like!

You could probably quit your day job and make these for a living to sell to collectors!! :D

Not easy to make a living at just cabinets. I make better money on the design end. My business is hands on science and interactive exhibits for museums. Here in Texas I can be competitive for smaller fabrication jobs and would love to do some custom cabinets too. I love to design custom built ins. I wish I had photos of my former Manhattan apartment. I did cabinets around the living room with storage below, mid-level fossil drawers, eye-level illuminated display cases and book shelves above. Included custom knobs & pulls and heavy black slate counters over the radiators between the windows. And all painted deep aqua green! it was way cool. I had minerals and fossils displayed and there was still room for my wife's good china. Done a few kitchens too. But every time I do a kitchen we move. So I refuse to do another kitchen until I'm 100% positive we are staying put.

Love the cabinet with the drawers. What kind of woods did you use? Also, what did you use for the drawer bottoms? Do you ever build kits so folks can buy the cabinet and then just assemble it themselves?

Daryl.

I agree with the others who complimented you on the small cabinet with the drawers. The shelves on the side are a nice looking touch. I think I may have to "borrow" that idea if I can find room down in man-land

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Beautiful workmanship! This makes my chalnsaw-woodbutchery look very primative. I made this simple chest from scraps harvested from a cabinet shop waste bin. Since it's so small I got by without fancy drawer slides. I thought I would never find the tag holders and they cost way more than all other expenses, glue, nails, stain. Now I just need about 20 more of these and I could get the rest of my smaller fossils out of boxes.

post-4419-0-17855300-1324858562_thumb.jpg

Looks like you and many others are in the same boat as I am, Bob. The cabinets are not easy to build [i don't care what they look like as long as they work! - the right dimensions, etc] and not easy to come by - seems any that are available are snapped up by collectors of everything from fossils to printmaking equipment... Anyway yours look nice as well, especially filled with nice fossils!

Bob, those card holders are a budget buster! I skipped 'em since I figure I'll be changing contents all too often as I sort out and refurbish the collection. But the woodwork looks just fine. Mine were also built from mostly scraps left over from the last job. These days a portion of the profit from jobs comes in extra materials.

Bob, those card holders are a budget buster! I skipped 'em since I figure I'll be changing contents all too often as I sort out and refurbish the collection. But the woodwork looks just fine. Mine were also built from mostly scraps left over from the last job. These days a portion of the profit from jobs comes in extra materials.

Yeah, these drawers started out with knobs but I changed what was in them so often I couldn't keep track of the contents so the tag holders help and the tags are easily changed. I guess they're expensive because nobody uses them anymore.