Signs That You May, In Fact, Be Obsessed With Fossils

Missourian

Another way to tell,is when the local schools,librariys,etc. have large collections of fossils so you can use the dining room to eat.

Bear-dog.

• 1 month later...

When getting married you pick out a Tungsten wedding band instead of Gold so when you're out collecting and a rock happens to fall on your hand the ring will break off instead of pinching your finger and ending the collecting day.

post-3840-0-54928500-1359034673_thumb.jpg

Or you're late to your own wedding because, along the way, you spot some new excavations in a road construction zone and make a 'quick' stop.

Context is critical.

You show up at your wedding with mud all over your tux, and everyone there understands perfectly.

Context is critical.

* If you have ever taken fossils to a job interview, you might be a fossil nut.

Hey, don't knock it til you try it, it got me a job :D

• I found this Informative 1

I think I have a few ideas:

-If you prep fossils in your lap every time you are sitting in a lecture/presentation

-If you own the majority of your power tools for the sole purpose of recovering and prepping fossils

-If you have ever inspected a limestone wall to see what fossils are weathering out

- If, when driving, you have your passenger mark on a map every road cut you see

-If your known in your office for bringing back a fossil every time you go on a business trip

-If you don't have a television, but instead have a very large chunk of rock you are currently preping fossils out of sitting where it would be

-If more than half the tabs open on your browser are maps or documents pertaining to geology and fossils

-If you've ever dangled upside down to recover a fossil on a ledge below

-If anytime someone mentions a vacation they've been on, you start trying to figure out what age the rocks are around there

-If you've ever had a birthday party in a quarry

-If when house hunting you've made a realtor stop in a quarry

- If more than 50% of your tupperware is used exclusively for fossils

- If you are shocked when someone mentions using abrasive blasting for anything other than prepping fossils

-If you spend days trying to find a way to file all your fossil hunting expenses as business expenses come tax time

- You crawl out of the woods wet and muddy, carrying a camera and a pick hammer, and don't care what joggers passing by think of you.

This one happens to me often. Except I have a giant sifter and two shovels. People are often jogging or walking when I come crawling out. Some know what I am doing but the vast majority do not. Those who don't really give me some funny looks.

Edited by RickNC

- You crawl out of the woods wet and muddy, carrying a camera and a pick hammer, and don't care what joggers passing by think of you.

This one happens to me often. Except I have a giant sifter and two shovels. People are often jogging or walking when I come crawling out. Some know what I am doing but the vast majority do not. Those who don't really give me some funny looks.

I call that funny look the GMR gaze. I have considered tell the next person who asks,"What are you doing in there?", oh just finishing up burying the body.

Edited by sixgill pete

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

You buy dental picks at the gun show.

No I dont ! I get a better deal buying them in bulk at the flea market.

Bear-dog.

I wonder what the dog-walkers and such up my local hill think when they see me with my fossil-collecting machine (baby stroller) if they realize it's stripped bare and there's no baby in it.

When you have a folder labeled "fossils" and your backround and your lock screen are places you hunt...

post-6661-0-73488100-1359430372_thumb.jpg

When you have a folder labeled "fossils" and your backround and your lock screen are places you hunt...

post-6661-0-73488100-1359430372_thumb.jpg

I noticed today that my smartphone has more pictures of fossils than of my kids :blush:

I noticed today that my smartphone has more pictures of fossils than of my kids :blush:

That's fair.

You've got more fossils than kids, don't you? ^_^

I have over 500 pictures..... All dealing with fossils :) reference maps, specimens of every kind, drawings, landscapes its almost sad how many there are...

When I move, I have a hard time finding friends to help. At the last move, I placed all of my fossils in crates and boxes labeled "light fragile items--Handle with Care." After several flights of stairs, they were, lets say, a little upset when they finally opened the "light fragile items"....:>

When you read through this thread again because you've already checked all the new posts.

Context is critical.

When you've committed to make the big pot of chili for the superbowl party, and thinking you'd rather go fossiling.

Steve

When the neighborhood kids know you as "the fossil lady around the corner". Also, put stuff in storage to accomidate the ever

expanding boxes of fossils, fossil books, maps and displays.

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

When you make a huge bowl of jelly with different coloured flavour-layers on top of each other to represent rock strata (with lolly-inclusions of various animals as jelly fossils).

Seriously i actually did this :D

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

• 3 years later...

·When all the science teachers at school know you by name (even if you never took their class) because you were asked to teach them about fossils and you taught THEM for once... (guilty)

·When you try to grit your teeth and act calm when someone sees a fossil bone of yours and thinks it's a dog bone (also guilty...seriously. A dog the size of a tank?)

-When you're asked if you have an Indominus Rex tooth and you again try to keep your calm (not get into a long-winded lesson), let alone get into the errors of dinosaur anatomy ignored in Jurassic World (again guilty; I understand it's just a movie, though)

·When you can fluently pronounce the scientific names of every specimen in your collection and science teachers just gawk at you (guilty of all of these....end it with that ;) )

·When you're up to date on the latest fossil discoveries but not politics.

Edited by Jesuslover340

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

You spend more time looking at fossils in the walls and floors than at the art when the spouse makes You waste a day at the art gallery!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.