12-23-11 Pennsylvanian Finds

Kehbe

Just a 15 minute stop at one and 20 minutes at the other! pic1,2,3,and 4, Mo. Jackson, KCMO Pennsylvanian, Winterset Ls. , pic5,6 and 7, Mo. Jackson, KCMO Pennsylvanian, Argentine Ls. I am thinking that is a crinoid cup in pic1,2,3 and 4. It is really smooth though. Shouldn't you be able to see more lines between the plates? Just badly weathered? Okay well, here they are...and Thanks for looking! :)

pic1post-7046-0-38675700-1324834930_thumb.jpgpic2post-7046-0-92622800-1324834956_thumb.jpg

pic3post-7046-0-53115700-1324834965_thumb.jpgpic4post-7046-0-10896600-1324834996_thumb.jpg

pic5post-7046-0-67292000-1324835075_thumb.jpgpic6post-7046-0-50873800-1324835138_thumb.jpgpic7post-7046-0-75982800-1324835360_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Nice haul.

I like the horn corals that fell over and kept growing.

The crinoid cup is Delocrinus. The indistinct plate boundaries is characteristic of the genus. Also, the anal plate of Delocrinus is straight and symmetrical rather than angled.

Context is critical.

I like the horn corals that fell over and kept growing.

Horn corals that fell over and continued to grow are always of interest.

Brings to mind this coral on Karl A. Wilson's New York Paleontology website

A horn coral with a very difficult life

post-6417-0-42744400-1324939231_thumb.jpg

Web page with another image and accounting of the life and death of this coral

Very Interesting read: LINK

Karl A. Wilson's New York Paleontology home page

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

post-6417-0-42744400-1324939231_thumb.jpg

Web page with another image and accounting of the life and death of this coral

Very Interesting read: LINK

Thanks for linking this Barry... that is an incredible fossil survival story! B)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Horn corals that fell over and continued to grow are always of interest...

This confirms what I always suspected: corals are stubborn.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I enjoyed that link and story very much! It appears the two I found here only endured 1 or 2 calamities before giving up the ship but in a paradoxical way, they died to live and tell their story! Here is the large end of the long crooked one, pic1 and 2, sticking out of the matrix, that is all that was exposed The lesser deformed piece, pic3 and 4, both in situ.

pic1post-7046-0-42906300-1324950802_thumb.jpgpic2post-7046-0-04704000-1324950811_thumb.jpg

pic3post-7046-0-91021500-1324950854_thumb.jpgpic4post-7046-0-65015400-1324950865_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Nice finds. Good information in the responses also... before reading them I would have suggested that the crinoid was a native bead as it looks pretty much like the beads that I've found in Florida.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice haul, the rock must be pretty rich by how much you're getting out of a roadcut! (unless the roadcut is extensive)... I sometimes barely bring home that much from a day's collecting at my acres of overturned piles of Cretaceous shale..

Love those spiny brachios.

The two spots I found these fossils at are rich indeed. My wife has dubbed the Winterset limestone location "The Honey Hole". I have found a very diverse collection of Pennsylvanian fossils from Trilobites to wholly preserved Wilkingia, as well as the usual Crinoids, Horn Corals and some very well preserved Brachiopods! It is by no means 'extensive' and exposes maybe 250 yards of Winterset limestone and about 50 yards of Bethany Falls limestone. However the other location is rather extensive, stretching for about a quarter mile uphill and exposing several layers from the Cement City limestone at the bottom up through the Muncie Creek shale and eventually into the Raytown and Argentine limestones. Of course, phosphatic concretion nodules in the Muncie Creek shale are present as well as Conularia just above that. Brachiopods of all sorts are abundant throughout the entire stretch of the cut. I have found a trove of Crinoids, Bryozoans, Horn Corals, Brachs and even one Trilobite in the upper exposures of the Raytown and Argentine limestones. I haved dubbed this spot my "Downtown Lunch " location! I spend more time hunting fossils at lunch than I do eating! ;) Anyways, thanks for looking at my pics! :)

Charles Darwin