Collection Of Kansas Pleistocene Fossils

vertman

Way back in the early part of the summer I told someone on the forum (sorry, don't remember who) that I would post some images of the Pleistocene fossils from Kansas that I have in my collection. I visited the location where many of these fossils were collected, and managed to find a number of the horse teeth myself. Most of the other pieces, though, I received in trade from the gentlemen who actually collected them. If anyone has a positive I.D. on the large tooth (I think it is a pig) I would appreciate it.

Now, on with the images...

post-5008-0-35698800-1325116596_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-44792000-1325116625_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-63807300-1325116653_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-49633300-1325116678_thumb.jpg

Here are some more images. Please note the one whose I.D. I question is in the second image.

post-5008-0-22392100-1325116821_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-53165100-1325116858_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-13705300-1325116886_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-58397000-1325116919_thumb.jpg

Edited by vertman

If anyone has a positive I.D. on the large tooth (I think it is a pig) I would appreciate it.

You are showing MANY large teeth --- The largest tooth is Mammoth, in photos 3 and 4, Photo 5 is likely a mastodon tooth (what size), The next large tooth might be Giant Beaver Incisor.... Lots of great teeth -- I see lots of Pleistocene here in Florida

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

You are showing MANY large teeth --- The largest tooth is Mammoth, in photos 3 and 4, Photo 5 is likely a mastodon tooth (what size), The next large tooth might be Giant Beaver Incisor.... Lots of great teeth -- I see lots of Pleistocene here in Florida

I am sorry. I should have been more specific. Yes, I was speaking about the tooth you refer to as a beaver incisor. Thank you!

I am not sure if that is a beaver incisor, we need to see more photos of the tooth

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

I am not sure if that is a beaver incisor, we need to see more photos of the tooth

Vertman,

edd is absolutely correct. Better, closer photos of the subject tooth are needed especially the occlusal and root views. I used the term thta it "might" be a beaver incisor because 1) I am not an expert and 2) comfortable in taking WAGs which sometimes are proven (quickly) incorrect. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The tooth fragment is from a gomphothere, a different family from mastodons (Mammutidae).

I don't know what the mystery tooth is from. I guess it could be a beaver (Castor sp.) incisor. Castor has smooth enamel only on the flat labial side of the tooth.

For comparison:

post-42-0-20253700-1325128228_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Vertman,

edd is absolutely correct. Better, closer photos of the subject tooth are needed especially the occlusal and root views. I used the term thta it "might" be a beaver incisor because 1) I am not an expert and 2) comfortable in taking WAGs which sometimes are proven (quickly) incorrect. SS

I appreciate your comments. I am also not an expert. Here are some more images of the tooth in question.

post-5008-0-11200500-1325129561_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-22242600-1325129581_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-99188000-1325129597_thumb.jpg

I appreciate your comments. I am also not an expert. Here are some more images of the tooth in question.

Beautiful :greenwnvy: This one looks more like tusk -- but I be waiting for Harry or another of the experts on TFF to Identify.

Nice collection of teeth you have there. I have never found any beyond fragments of mammoth/mastodon teeth and would love to have a complete <or even mostly complete> one.

very, very nice. Without giving too much away, what part of the state are those from? Out west? The preservation is different than anything I've seen from Kansas. Thanks for sharing!

If this is a tooth, it might be a xenarthran caniniform tooth. It reminds me of this armadillo tooth (though armadillos don't really have caniniform teeth). These are hypselodont teeth with no enamel. It is common to see growth rings in the dentin.

post-42-0-20655100-1325276876_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

If this is a tooth, it might be a xenarthran caniniform tooth. It reminds me of this armadillo tooth (though armadillos don't really have caniniform teeth). These are hypselodont teeth with no enamel. It is common to see growth rings in the dentin.

post-42-0-20655100-1325276876_thumb.jpg

Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts on this one!

very, very nice. Without giving too much away, what part of the state are those from? Out west? The preservation is different than anything I've seen from Kansas. Thanks for sharing!

These come from the south central/south east part of the state, all river drainage sand and gravel deposits.