Peace River Finds

karnuvore

Ok..here's some of the stuff I'm finding in the Peace river. I took 50 pics of my collection and found out I have LOT more than I thought I had. Here's a sample and a few I would love to identify.

Ray Plate:

SANY0093.jpg

Dugong bones (theyre everywhere):

SANY0095.jpg

A typical haul (this is one day's find):

SANY0096.jpg

Id really dig knowing what the next 2 are. They appear to be parts of teeth? They seem to have some sort of enamel:

SANY0101.jpg

and

SANY0105.jpg

Gator tooth, shell cast, and ????:

SANY0109.jpg

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

I hunt the peace river. I Love it.

And some more.....

I've never made up my mind what this is:

SANY0117.jpg

Find a lot of turtle/tortise fragments:

SANY0118.jpg

Equine teeth:

SANY0124.jpg

Gator scutes:

SANY0125.jpg

Glyptodont plates:

SANY0129.jpg

Lotta vertebrae...Big one:

SANY0132.jpg

Small one:

SANY0141.jpg

My son's first fossil. He reached down and found this in the river when he was 2 (he's 4 now). Handed it to me and said "is this a fossil daddy?" (turtle shell):

SANY0143.jpg

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

Your questionable enameled tooth parts look like mammoth tooth fragments very common down there.

Your questionable enameled tooth parts look like mammoth tooth fragments very common down there.

I figured that was what they were. But have never been certain. The top one though, I find exact copies of that, but about 1" long. Baby mammoth fragments? I dunno. Theyre neat though.

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

Wow! NICE fossils! I would like to check out when I am in Florida!

Cool to own a Mammoth tooth!

I figured that was what they were. But have never been certain. The top one though, I find exact copies of that, but about 1" long. Baby mammoth fragments? I dunno. Theyre neat though.

Whenever you plan on coming down to florida, PM me. I'll gladly show you the local spots if the river levels are low (typically fall through spring). Bring a mask and snorkel.

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

I've never made up my mind what this is:

SANY0117.jpg

Glyptodont head armor?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Glyptodont head armor?

Man, I really dont know. It's some sort of impression. The pattern is laid on rock. I wondered if it was maybe a turtle's belly? Glyptodont would be cooler though eh? Either way, I like it. Sits on my desk.

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

Maybe some kind of weird broken echinoid shell.....impression...thing? Your first picture is actually a pufferfish mouthplate... And man I reaaaally like those Glyptodont scutes...I didn't find any when I was down there on the forum trip.

I also second Anson's opinion about those being mammoth tooth fragments.

Maybe some kind of weird broken echinoid shell.....impression...thing? Your first picture is actually a pufferfish mouthplate... And man I reaaaally like those Glyptodont scutes...I didn't find any when I was down there on the forum trip.

I also second Anson's opinion about those being mammoth tooth fragments.

I'm already loving this forum. Pufferfish mouthplate! Yeah I'm agreeing on the mammoth tooth fragments. Eventually, I will find an intact mammoth tooth.

Send me a PM w/ some contact info and I'll send you a glyptodont scute. ;)

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

Glyptodont head armor?

This actually is a piece of a sand dollar. I find them somewhat frequently but so far no complete ones out of the river. I've got a couple that were about half of the sand dollar but no larger, yet.

This actually is a piece of a sand dollar. I find them somewhat frequently but so far no complete ones out of the river. I've got a couple that were about half of the sand dollar but no larger, yet.

Interesting! I'd love to see pics of your specimens; more examples would help me get my head around it. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Really?!?

I never would have guessed that. Cool. You hunt peace river?

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

Ok..here's some of the stuff I'm finding in the Peace river. I took 50 pics of my collection and found out I have LOT more than I thought I had. Here's a sample and a few I would love to identify.

SANY0109.jpg

The last one looks like either a rib or a tusk. I'd have to see the end though. Could be a juvenile mammoth or just a porpoise rib. If the end is hollow and you can see rings, I'd vote for mammoth. If you see small air holes in a catacomb like pattern it's most likely a rib. Either way cool find. You have some nice material!

I'd love to go diving some time, I'm scuba certified but I don't have my own equipment. I do have the mask and the snorkel though :D but I'm all the way in MD :(

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Really?!?

I never would have guessed that. Cool. You hunt peace river?

yeah, I hunt the peace river pretty faithfully during the season. I'm more of a digger/sifter but I do mix in a little snorkeling and such too.

Regarding the sand dollar piece, I don't actually have any to photograph, I usually will find them and look at them while lamenting that it isn't whole and then toss it back in since I have no use for it. Sorry.

yeah, I hunt the peace river pretty faithfully during the season. I'm more of a digger/sifter but I do mix in a little snorkeling and such too.

Regarding the sand dollar piece, I don't actually have any to photograph, I usually will find them and look at them while lamenting that it isn't whole and then toss it back in since I have no use for it. Sorry.

You know any areas that are still fun to hit w/ the water levels this high? Id love to go somewhere - hopefully this weekend. Im up in polk county near the headwaters, but all the spots I hit are DEEP right now.

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

I found some of my shark teeth. Figured I'd post a few more pics:

SANY0091.jpg

SANY0093.jpg

SANY0094.jpg

SANY0096.jpg

SANY0097.jpg

SANY0100.jpg

SANY0103.jpg

SANY0104.jpg

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

SANY0109.jpg

Possibly part of a broken deer antler? Right shape and size. I've found them in the rivers up here before. Don't know, just a possibility.