Petalodus Diapointment And Couple Other Small Stuff Cen Tex

thair

Thought I had a good one but was just a root. Also pictured are a couple others I thought might be interesting. A itty bitty Brach and crinoid cup.

All from Penn. Brown Co. Texas.

post-3664-0-07672600-1325632566_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-80273800-1325632605_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-74566400-1325632631_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-72018200-1325632659_thumb.jpg

Taxman - I strongly recommend NOT hunting Brownwood in the summer! Unless you like being roasted of course. Spring Break is much better!.

Tully - so close!!!

How's the Lake level? Anything good to be had?

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

The ones I find here (Upper Mississippian) usually have some damage too. At least you dont have to struggle to get it out of the matrix though right? And the brach and crinoid cups are cool!

Ouch! I have a root from a Cretodus crassidens (Basal Atco, upper cretaceous) with only 1 side cusp and no blade. It was root up as well. the existing side cusp is 10mm tall and the root is as big around as the joint of my thumb.

Can you imagine how big a tooth that would have been!?

The only bigger tooth I have ever found was a (get ready for this!...) Petalodus from Kansas. We were hunting a quarry in NE Kansas and I found a tooth slightly over 4", center top to bottom, in a spoils pile. It's in the Sternberg museum research collection now.

Ouch! I have a root from a Cretodus crassidens (Basal Atco, upper cretaceous) with only 1 side cusp and no blade. It was root up as well. the existing side cusp is 10mm tall and the root is as big around as the joint of my thumb.

Can you imagine how big a tooth that would have been!?

The only bigger tooth I have ever found was a (get ready for this!...) Petalodus from Kansas. We were hunting a quarry in NE Kansas and I found a tooth slightly over 4", center top to bottom, in a spoils pile. It's in the Sternberg museum research collection now.

Over 4 inches? Wow...definitely don't need a magnifying glass to see that one!!!

The only bigger tooth I have ever found was a (get ready for this!...) Petalodus from

Kansas. We were hunting a quarry in NE Kansas and I found a tooth slightly over 4",

center top to bottom, in a spoils pile. It's in the Sternberg museum research collection now.

If I found it...It would by in "Indy's research collection" now :)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

This is my largest one which is a little under 3 inch. Oh-man the lake is about 17feet low but I have not got to go out there for several months other than looking for arrowheads.

post-3664-0-69071600-1325791712_thumb.jpg

This is my largest one which is a little under 3 inch. Oh-man the lake is about 17feet low but I have not got to go out there for several months other than looking for arrowheads.

I love that tooth! :greenwnvy:

Welcome to the forum!

Gorgeous tooth!

I've been very lucky with Petalodus. I have a couple of dozen teeth with 5 or 6 perfect teeth. Back in the day, Gore, OK produced shark teeth like crazy.

The ones I find here (Upper Mississippian) usually have some damage too. At least you dont have to struggle to get it out of the matrix though right? And the brach and crinoid cups are cool!

It depends on where you go around there. Some are embedded and many are loose (and pretty much clean).

Nice finds, Tully.