Scuba Dive Find - My Biggest Megalodon Tooth To Date

DeloiVarden

Hey congrats on that monster!!

I agree with your explanation of why perfect large teeth are more rare than smaller ones. Maybe you consider that the tooth, when it fell out of the shark's mouth was not fossilized. One pound corresponds to the fossilized version, the recent tooth will be a lot lighter and don't sink very quickly in the water.

Aside from the probability that larger teeth are much less common than smaller ones I think the main contributions of the stronger erosion of larger teeth are - as you pointed out - the larger surface area as well as the larger inertia of a big tooth. It requires more force to accelerate a heavier item, which at the same time means, that once it is moving, more force has to counteract its mass (impulse) in order to decelerate it. Hence larger damage when it hits something hard.

I really like that tooth despide of the quality, wich I consider ok for a tooth this size. Imagine the owner, that's the thrill of finding an tooth that size, not just quality. Keep on having fun findig them!!