Lunchtime Pennsylvanian Finds.

Kehbe

Kyle,

I'm pretty sure you're possum is a masked bandit. Possum have the most teeth of any North American land mammal.....

Joe

Joe...

(evolution ROCKS....)

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, today I hit a new spot at lunch and of course, I didn't have much more than 20 minutes or so to look, but, I did find some interesting fossils. These are Pennsylvanian in age but I will have to research a bit further to determine which strata I was in. I will update when I have that info. :)

In pics 1 thru 4, at the top left, in hand, it appears to be meekella covered rather heavily, pictures don't really show it very well. It has a very interesting 'pigskin' like texture. Next is a fairly common horn coral, top right, a very 3D bryozoa fan. Bottom left is a nicely preserved spirifer with both valves intact. In the middle is what I think is a gastropod?? (open for suggestions) and bottom right and pic5, last but certainly not least, another trilobite pygidium! The bugs have been out and about these last two weeks! :meg dance: Here are the pics! Thanks for looking! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-95727800-1330630832_thumb.jpg pic2 post-7046-0-56083100-1330630843_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-27676100-1330630851_thumb.jpg pic4 post-7046-0-62249700-1330630859_thumb.jpg

pic 5 post-7046-0-46888000-1330630899_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Nice finds again, Kyle, I wish I could help you with the IDs but just had to say.. that one in middle sure looks like a snail to me, but wondering if you can tell whether it has its shell (positive) or just the usual steinkern (internal neg.)?

Another short lunchtime hunt at a spot I have found to be rather sparse in the way of fossils. It is about 300 feet above and overlooking the Missouri river valley very near downtown Kansas City Missouri. I believe it is Middle Creek limestone but I am not certain. I will check with my resident strata professional, ;) our most recent MOTM :) and edit here accordingly if it is different. What makes me think it is Middle Creek is the indicator fossil Meekella. Speaking of which, I love the rusty color of this Meekella and the Gastropod Turitella? These two pieces of horn coral are interesting as well, the piece in matrix is striking in its patterns and the other looks to have been broken at some point and then fused back together. Hope you enjoy looking as much as I enjoyed finding them! :) pic1 and pic2 are fronts and backs and I added a close up of the gastropod. sorry its a bit fuzzy.

pic1 post-7046-0-51502800-1331323817_thumb.jpg pic2 post-7046-0-18783800-1331323833_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-71908900-1331323974_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Thank you. I was needing my daily 'Kehbe lunchtime' fix. :)

Nice fossils all. The horn corals are intriguing. One has a nice elbow, while the other on the rock looks like a wizard's hat. And I like how the aperture is visible on the gastropod.

There is no Middle Creek near downtown KC. I believe the original Westport Landing on the river was Bethany Falls.

I may have 'lied' about Meekella being only in the Middle Creek. It may be in several different beds, but I've never come across them. It is distinctive in the Middle Creek. Your brachiopod, though, is kind of like a hybrid between Meekella and Enteletes (see at the bottom of http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Publications/Bulletins/169/Moore/index.html for illustrations). The overall form looks kind of like Enteletes, but the 'teeth' are like Meekella. I may need to pull out the old fossil books....

Context is critical.