Where To Start

hammerrite

I have a nondescript fossil, where do I start? I just don' know where to start cleaning ? Do I start on one side and remove matrix till I find something? To tell you the truth I don't even know what side is up on the specimen. Is there a way you can tell the orientation of the fossil in the matrix before cleaning? I take photos before removing fossils from the beds, but I found this one in a river bed. HELP!!!!!

Success is the child of failure.

Come on shark! You call yourself the king of the jungle?

Trying to take a good picture. I can see how my first post was a bit vague :( Newfoundland canada. Found on Bell Island. I'm unsure of the "geology" of the area. How can I find that out?

Success is the child of failure.

Come on shark! You call yourself the king of the jungle?

Trying to take a good picture. I can see how my first post was a bit vague :( Newfoundland canada. Found on Bell Island. I'm unsure of the "geology" of the area. How can I find that out?

All governement agencies have dtailed maps made by various geologists. Go online and download some.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

The Bell Island Group is Cambrian to Lower Ordovician in age, and seems to be best known for trace fossils (tracks, burrows, etc). If you can show pictures from a couple of different angles maybe we can offer suggestions. Also try to adjust the light so as to bring out detail as much as you can. The convention in paleontological photography is to have the light coming from the top left; that way we can tell features that stand out from ones that are impressed into the rock.

Don

Edited by FossilDAWG

The Bell Island Group is Cambrian to Lower Ordovician in age, and seems to be best known for trace fossils (tracks, burrows, etc). If you can show pictures from a couple of different angles maybe we can offer suggestions. Also try to adjust the light so as to bring out detail as much as you can. The convention in paleontological photography is to have the light coming from the top left; that way we can tell features that stand out from ones that are impressed into the rock.

Don

I am a non-conformist. My light comes from the top right. :D

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

I am a non-conformist. My light comes from the top right. :D

For a true non-conformist it would be on the bottom right (and it would be a black light)! :meg dance:

Edited by Boneman007

Funny, I would have assumed top-right myself, but the way things go for me I have to take the pic however I can, as the fossil and the light will often only cooperate to a certain degree! ;)

(I figure as long is it's in focus and pic os not shrunk too small, and you state which angle the light is, it's good)

Edited by Wrangellian